Burned thermostats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burned thermostats

If you still have the old heater ,, test the lower element to see if its good
    Even if it is pull it out and take a pic of it
    I bet it grounds out after it gets hot

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
      No need for profanity. I have not replied because I don't have all the answers. As I stated before, I am not an electrician. I don't know how to calculate amps. I got to the job, saw the shape of the heater, told homeowner it need to be replaced (he already new that). So I did. The power was off when I got there. When the water heater was full he turned the breaker back on. It has been over a week now and working fine.
      WTF, meant we have been waiting Wednesday, Thursday & Friday for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
        Shouldn't the breaker trip though, even in this instance?

Comment

i see this occasionally. most of the electrical parts that i see on wh are cheap. i see them where they burn up the wiring completely. wire will be crystallized. a lot of wh will have lime build up to or above bottom element. bottom element heats for to long. also heat is the enemy of conductors. the insulation will deteriorate. but usually it is a rotten heating element that makes part or all of it's connection through the the mineral build up. i have never seen this blow a breaker and i don't know why i would. this is not a direct short , it's a bad connection in all functionality. it is a short, but the breakers just don't see it. breid.................

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
            I usually trash the heaters the same or next day they taken out

Comment

The homeowner changed the thermostat himself.
              He didn't tighten one or more of the connections well enough.
              A loose connection will heat up until it catches fire.
              The rest is history.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                Shouldn't the breaker trip though, even in this instance?
                Its a slow burn & and the wire thinks its the element

Comment

Breakers don't always trip when they should, I would have told the HO to get it replaced. We do both plumbing and electrical and run into the non-tripping issue alot, it is scary how many times I have seen wires burn in two but never trip. GE breakers are famous for it, we call them NEVER TRIP.

Comment

One more item to think about. This happens often where I am located in Florida. Many of the homes have the water heaters located in the garage. Right next to the heater is a water softner with salt. The salt air will have a negative reaction to the electrical components in the water heater. The outside covering will rot from the wire.

We have many restaurants with the water softners salt tank right next to the commercial water heater wiring. I became invovled in a certain chain of restaurants that had nightmare problems with htier water ehater elextrical systems. The spark ignition sustem would rot.I explained that they needed to remove the flamables from this room if they did not install fresh air outlets and a fan to exhaust the salt air from the room. They did not believe me and the spark ignition failed and once the wire covering rotted and the gas valve opened up a spark from the bare wire ignited a fire in the room. The room was also used as a break room for the employees.They were shut down for three weeks to remodel.

Comment

Working...
                    X