• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burned thermostats

What could have caused this?
    Attached Files

Re: Burned thermostats

All that I have ever seen in that condition were water leaks. Almost all were CPVC pipe installed by a DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slate View Post
      All that I have ever seen in that condition were water leaks. Almost all were CPVC pipe installed by a DIY
      Nope thats not it.

Comment

I Failed to note that I had never seen both burnt all to Heck at same time. Oh well why ruin a perfect day and be right about something.

Comment

was there an electrical short somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
            What could have caused this?
            \

It's common, either a short in the t-stat or a bad element will cause it.

Comment

I'm thinking not a short to ground because that should have tripped the breaker. Probably a loose connection at the lower element or t-stat that overheated, caught fire, and then followed the sheathing of the wire up.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I have questions. What size breaker? What size elements? Obvious amperage problem, wires not twisted together at connection creating an arc, loose wires. I cannot see the wiring at the top of the heater could have had a larger sized wiring that did not throw the breaker and instead fired up the stats.
                We have many water heaters wired to a dryer connection that can carry up to fifty amps and the heater draws 17 amps. The wiring will handle high amperage without blowing the breaker causing issues elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by rich34232 View Post
                  I have questions. What size breaker? What size elements? Obvious amperage problem, wires not twisted together at connection creating an arc, loose wires. I cannot see the wiring at the top of the heater could have had a larger sized wiring that did not throw the breaker and instead fired up the stats.
                  We have many water heaters wired to a dryer connection that can carry up to fifty amps and the heater draws 17 amps. The wiring will handle high amperage without blowing the breaker causing issues elsewhere.
                  I can not answer all your questions because I am not an electrician. I can tell you that it had a thirty amp double pole breaker.

Comment

I guess I have let you guys take enough guesses. The homeowner told me that he had replaced the thermostats a while back and that is has not opperated properly ever since then.
                    Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Did he install 110 volt stats? There must be a reason they fired up.The 230 volt would not burn up unless installed wrong or pulling to many amps.

Comment

What made the home owner think he needed new thermostats ?

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                          What made the home owner think he needed new thermostats ?
                          He likes keeping us all in limbo. WTF actually happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                            He likes keeping us all in limbo. WTF actually happened?
                            No need for profanity. I have not replied because I don't have all the answers. As I stated before, I am not an electrician. I don't know how to calculate amps. I got to the job, saw the shape of the heater, told homeowner it need to be replaced (he already new that). So I did. The power was off when I got there. When the water heater was full he turned the breaker back on. It has been over a week now and working fine.

Comment

Someone could have replaced the elements with higher voltage/amp draw on the wire setup.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X