X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biz Hours

Got a call after 5 to night. customer has a schedule that does not really go well with ours. I keep some strange hours to begin with. (I work from 8:30 am to 10 pm Monday- Saturday) I offered to come out tonight for no extra charge. He denied it and insisted on us coming out early in the morning. By early we are talking 6 am. I told Him I would see If I could get out there at that time. But the more I think about it. I am going to have to reschedule.
    What do you Owners normally do in this situation

Re: Biz Hours

if this is not your normal time you could charge extra. if you have to pay someone, a worker of yours overtime then you will need to cover your costs.) if he is repeat you could make an exception.
    for me i'm on call 24/7 and if someone needs something early in the morning or late at night i'm there.
    what kind of call is it? drain? or are you just bidding on something?
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Drain call. It is just me and a helper.
      I don't work 24/7
      I work late in the evenings so that normaly covers all of the emergency after hours call. This is not a re peat customer. His Ll called and refered him to me. I have never done work for any of them.

Comment

did you already quote him the price? if not just up it a little to cover your helpers after hour rate. if so call him and tell him that you are unable to make that time and would another time latter in the day work for him?

Comment

I attempted to set up a time for later in the day. He wouldn't accept it. Talking about he has a family and all that. Wait I have a life and a kid. So what makes him better than me. What makes his time more important than mine.

Comment

at this point i think you need to ask yourself if you realy need or should i say want the work? or you could just call him and say what about thursday?

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
              I attempted to set up a time for later in the day. He wouldn't accept it. Talking about he has a family and all that. Wait I have a life and a kid. So what makes him better than me. What makes his time more important than mine.
              Your just a "Low Life Plumber" you should not have a life, or spend time with your family. You should be sitting next to the phone at all times,ready to jump when he calls, and work around everyone elses schedule.
              Alot of people think I'm crazy, {maybe rightfully so} but I don't handle emergency calls for "Joe Blow Customer", and I tell them so on my voice mail. My regular customers have my Cell#, and they are more understanding if I can't get there right away, than the 1st & only 1 time customers.
              Very tough to turn work down, but I learned a long time ago, that I can't do it all. I can only be in 1 place at 1 time, & if someone don't like that or can't understand that, then I'm happy to have them call someone else.
              I have a T-shirt that says: I can only please 1 person a day, today is not your day,tomorrow don't look good either!

Comment

You say a LI called and referred you. Have you done work for the LI in the past? What is the potential of this client? We make special effort all the time for clients why the difference? It sounds like you do quite a bit special for clients; your hours informed us of that.
                My thinking I love referrals, I am home today due to circumstances health wise. I did go to our weekly meeting this morning and discussed calls that came in and four calls came in yesterday that are all referrals for me. I assigned three of our technicians for the four calls; referrals are money in the bank they already know how you operate, what you do for them and money should not be an issue with referrals.
                I have long term clients that demand more of my time than they have spent and we all have this type of client. Existing clients are not always better than the new client you pick up today.

Comment

that is the problem. I am not a morning person. haven't been for the last 5 years. I set up my shop around this. I found that when I was up and ready to go at 8 am most people wanted me to wait til 10 am or later to come out. So I just started going with the flow.

Btw. I didn't go to the call. I got some type of bug last night and was really Ill. I tried to call and inform the customer of that. They never answered. Than Later on today. They are blowing my phone up. I was scheduled to be there art 7 am I called again at 6 45 am no one answering. wth. oh well not going to let this bug me to much.

Comment

We start early and the one that gets up in the morning.. has a much better chance to get ahead of the line
                    I cant give a firm late in the day time
                    the ones that have to work until 3:30 or later , need to leave a key or have some one there..
                    night jobs dont happen.. much
                    Here in the south customers can understand taking the weekends off...
                    and have no problem waiting until Monday

Comment

I execute the majority of my calls with the intention of setting them late, and people like the "after work" mentality of getting work done.

People would prefer to not spend twice, which means take off work losing money and having to spend money at the same time. It's a tough equation on many levels.

But I work around the clock, I don't really care when they call me.

I love calls that come in around 2-4am in the morning because I'm wide awake and I'm going to be spot on and charging premiums.

I love to sleep when the world is working.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

It all depends on how hungry I am at the time. I'll try to get them to work around my schedule but if they insist, most times I'll come when they need me. I may have my driver come in early and send him home early for that job, or vice versa if it's a late job. He's pretty flexible and if he can't make it I'll do it myself.
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I really hate to say this., But I am glad I blew this guy off. I could use the money. I could really use the money, but he just rubbed me the wrong way.
                          He called back later on today after 6 pm. Asking If I would give him a discount since I was not there this morning. Yeah My Discount will be call some one else. This lets me know that this is not an issue that they are in a big hurry to get taken care of. They appear to be price shoppers and looking for the cheapest price, But want their arse kissed in the process also. Well they picked the wrong day and the wrong drain cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                            I really hate to say this., But I am glad I blew this guy off. I could use the money. I could really use the money, but he just rubbed me the wrong way.
                            He called back later on today after 6 pm. Asking If I would give him a discount since I was not there this morning. Yeah My Discount will be call some one else. This lets me know that this is not an issue that they are in a big hurry to get taken care of. They appear to be price shoppers and looking for the cheapest price, But want their arse kissed in the process also. Well they picked the wrong day and the wrong drain cleaner
                            I've had quite a few of these type customers, and you just get to know the feeling, after many years, of who you should blow off. After this idiot called back and wanted a discount, {especially because he doesn't want to answer his phone so you can notify him when your schedule changes} it feels good that the intuition you had was right & now you know you did the right thing & blew this price shopping, bargain hunter off.
                            I had a customer about 3 days before christmas, that needed a new sump pump. I was very busy at the time, trying to finish things up before the holiday. I have only done work for this customer 1 time before, & cheap is written all over him. Every time he calls he wants 10 different prices, for 10 different scenarios that "might" occurr.
                            I figured I could sqeeze this job in, but I had the mind set, from the second I heard his voice, that he either works with my schedule or he will be calling someone else. I told him I would do it 1st thing in the morning {this is 8pm the night before & he has a POS back up pump that someone else installed to get through the nite} about 7:30. He is retired, and told me that will not work cuz him & wife go to breakfast at 8:00 & he has doctors appts, and so on. I told him you have 3 choices, either leave the door unlocked, hide key, or call someone else. He decided to stay home from his important breakfast. And of course after that he tries to con me down on price. Then he tried to get me to use old check valve thinkin he"d save $10. Sorry but I stand my ground with these types, cuz if you let them push you an inch, then they will try a foot, and they have zero shame.

Comment

Working...
                            X