X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flapper

I unclogged a kohler class 5 yesterday. Bunch of college girl living there and they clogged it up good. Apparently they plunged and plunged...Five seconds with the auger and it was unclogged lol.

When testing the operation of the toilet afterwards I found that the flapper was closing too soon and didn't seem to allow enough water out before snapping shut. I think I'm going to take a float off a new flapper and put it on there for them to see if it stays open longer.

Anyways, what non-standard flappers does everyone carry in their vans? I have one cadet 3 flapper but that's it. No class 5 flapper or anything else really.

The standard one I use is the red fluidmasters with a float. You can adjust the flow down on the chain to allow the flapper to stay open longer or up on the chain to close it sooner. It's the Pro55R and it seems to work good.

Comment

If it fits I prefer to use a Fluidmaster 501. The rigid arms and hinge ensure the flapper will open on a full arc. So it will open all the way and stay open as long as the water is there to support it. Then, it will land where it's supposed to. Although I do like the red korky. I also carry a Cadet 3 flapper, but have never used it. I also carry a couple BIG red flappers, I have yet to use one, but they are bouncing around in the truck just waiting for a wet cold home.
      Attached Files
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I typically install the adjustable Fluidmaster flappers

I also keep 1 oddball Eljer due to a few I had to replace in a large building (now i've had the same one for over a year).

Comment

out here i use a lot of the toto red/ gmax and blue/ power gravity flappers.

i still have to carry a large assortment of the kohler specialty flappers. although kohler is starting to combine a lot of their junk flappers that never lasted and are making it easier to cross reference them.

kohler was once the preference here

now toto is king

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i'm talking total rebuild kit. whats the most common one and what do you like?
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

For flappers I carry roughly 10 Korky red flappers, 6 Korky red 1.6 gallon, 4 FM bullseye, 4 FM adjustable flappers, 6 assorted Kohler oddball flappers, and about 20 Mansfield flush valve seals on the truck. That lets me go one or two weeks without having to restock. The Kohler flappers ride on the truck for a long time before they get used.

For complete toilet rebuild kits, I always just use the FluidMaster 400AK kit. It works for 99% of the toilets out here. If the thick gasket makes the tank sit to far from the bowl, I cut pieces of PEX to use as shims, to make a solid connection.

Comment

If you do alot of service you really need to carry a variety. I rarely get call backs with flappers, I won't leave till I find the perfect match. Then I test with food dye to make sure the flush valve doesn't need to go as well.

Comment

I've never thought of testing with food coloring. Thanks for the tip.

Before I became an apprentice I rebuilt my toilet with no prior knowledge of how to do so. Not a big deal, but I had no clue really. I think I used a corky kit or something and the flapper didn't seal up against the flush valve. I went to the hardware store and they had a new assembly that could be put onto the old flush valve with some sort of mighty putty like stuff that sealed it. It had a new flapper and whatnot built right in... yeah I know..

That toilet has since been replaced by a champion 4

Comment

The Delta Pro flap got me out of a couple of Binds ... But I can Not find them here anymore ...

Hey Rick would you PM me an E-Mail address I Can't get TOTO flappers here either

Dave

Comment

I use the Korky kits. I was using the fill valves back when they were made by Hunter. I like them better because we have really hard water here and the Fluidmasters can build up lime on the shaft and the float sticks. I keep Korky kits and also Korky flappers with a float and Kohler 3-bolt tank to bowl stuff on the trailer. I usually have a Toto or two, but I need to get some Kohler flappers and other odd ones for the new toilets.

I have to be careful because it seems as if whenever I stock up on something I never sell it again.

Comment

Working...
                      X