X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deteriorated flange.

A few years back I started seeing the blue and red painted steel flanges on ABS and PVC closet flanges display corrosion. One toilet in particular, the flange itself was simply a round circle of rusty looking dust and the toilet would flop around like a fish in the bottom of a boat when someone would use it. The only thing holding the toilet in place was the supply tube and the ABS pipe portion of the flange.

I switched to using stainless steel flanges long ago. (I've seen too many distended and malformed PVC and ABS flanges to consider using all plastic flanges.)

I'm curious if anyone else has come across this.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Deteriorated flange.

In your part of town and west in Maple Grove/Plymouth there were many of those that went in
    during the housing boom.Cheap and cheap.I had had a few handed to me back then.
    The pvc flanges were only pennies more.I use the short east west slots vs.the long north south slots.
    I have yet to see this configuration fail.
    Last edited by Jay Mpls; 01-27-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

unfortunately the coated steel adjustable flanges were the only ones back then. the all plastic ones we didn't use and the stainless ones were not around back then.

what i've found is that if the wax seal was bad, so was the metal ring. if the wax was good, so is the flange.

they make replacement stainless screw down flanges that will work with the existing flanges. pasco specialties has them.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

those coated steel abs / pvc flanges are illeagel here , I have removed many of them , and installed the stainless ones , the all plastic flanges seam to crack over time

Comment

Originally posted by RHplumbing View Post
          those coated steel abs / pvc flanges are illeagel here , I have removed many of them , and installed the stainless ones , the all plastic flanges seam to crack over time
          I never used those steel ones and never would, but I didn't know they were illegal in some places. Why in the hell would they make something for under a toilet that rusts?

Comment

Working...
          X