X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watts Floodsafe water heater shutoff

Anybody install these on electric water heaters? Good stories? Bad?
    I'm thinking about pushing them when I install water heaters. Just wondering in anyone had good/bad experiences with them.

Thanks!

Re: Watts Floodsafe water heater shutoff

I use a different brand for the water heaters, but I have installed a few Watts ones for the washing machines. They work well. I hope you have a better sales pitch for them then I do. I have a very hard time selling the things. I think I bought 4 water heater ones and 4 washing machines ones a few years ago, and I still have at least one of each type left. People seemed to think it was a good idea until I told them the price. Some actually said what are the chances the house would flood twice? Good luck

Comment

They're quite pricey around here. A lot of people are content to let the tank sit in the bsmt and forget about it... until their hot water turns brown one morning.

Shame, though, I REALLY like the idea of these and I'd really like to get into installing them.
      Nevada, what's that other brand you use?

Comment

No basements here. Many tanks in attics and eve spaces. I just put in two of these and tested them(mod # ES220 (?)). They seem to work fine on test. Real hazard test, we'll see.
        Mike

Comment

Never used the watts because of the bad press on their other flood stuff. We have used these and like them. plus they offer a discount to plumbers
          http://www.getfloodstop.com/
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            Never used the watts because of the bad press on their other flood stuff. We have used these and like them. plus they offer a discount to plumbers
            http://www.getfloodstop.com/
            same one i use, except they were marked as the burstbuster 2000.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I use the floodstop ones in the link above for water heaters. I like the Watts for washing machines instead because it leaves the hoses off until you start the washing machine. It senses the power, and turns the hoses on. When the cycle is done, it turns them back off. I've had mine in my house for over three years now, and it works great. Unfortunately, I installed it the day after my washing machine flooded my house, but better late then never.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                same one i use, except they were marked as the burstbuster 2000.

rick.
                The water heater one comes with compression fittings
                All solenoid valves too, nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Asperger View Post
                  The water heater one comes with compression fittings
                  All solenoid valves too, nice.
                  What does it detect to shut off the water, flow rate? If so how can it determine that there is a 3gpm leak in heater, or 1 or 2 showers are being used? Does it detect moisture?
                  Also I assume the compression ftgs are 3/4" .

Comment

mine are 3/4'' fip x mip full port ball valves.

the water sensor is a circuit board type of plate with a parallel grid type pattern. when water crosses the any of the 2 parallel wires on the board, it trips the alarm and closes the valve.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Just use the watts fancy flood hoses [ not] They still around ?
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        mine are 3/4'' fip x mip full port ball valves.

the water sensor is a circuit board type of plate with a parallel grid type pattern. when water crosses the any of the 2 parallel wires on the board, it trips the alarm and closes the valve.

rick.
                        Thanks Rick, but I guess I'm clueless since I have never seen these before.You say water sensor is a circuit board. Well where does it get the water from to sense? Does it go into a pan or something at the bottom of heater? I've seen water shooting out several feet, such as through the relief valve opening in water heater jacket, from the weld joint for T&P.
                        Not that it happens often, just curious, but would this device work on that situation, or on most situations?

Comment

the panel sits on the floor or in the pan. if in the pan make sure to isolate it from metal with a piece of paper or tape on the metal. anything that drips on the board will set it off and sound a beeping alarm. you could also plug in more than 1 sensor to cover a larger area.

i sell more laundry units than water heater units due to the hoses and the fact that most people don't shut off their machines.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I use the ones like Rick described. I have had trouble with them leaking from the threads of the connection that holds the ball valve together. Brand new valves and they would leak at the initial turn on.
                            Your concern about the tank splitting on the side is valid but it only takes a drop of water to activate the ball valve. I would rather have it run for a minute or less and finally set the sensor off than have it run all day or longer while you are at work or away.
                            And yes some that i have installed have prevented catastrophe including a roof leak that dripped in the pan and thus the home owner was alerted when they had no hot water and went to the attic to inspect.

I also sell and give water alarms from Statewide that i put in the water heater and condensate pans and around problematic icemakers. Another property saver, goodwill bringer, money maker item that is cheap, cheap, cheap.
                            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I have never tried the Watts Floodsafe, but I just installed a WAGS (water and gas safety valve) valve and drip pan made by Taco. Come with a $1000.00 insurance deductable policy. http://www.wagsvalve.com/protection.html

Some of the two stories condo complexes around here want the water heaters changed every five years. This can turn out to be a great add on.
                              The WAGS sits in a drip pan next to the water heater and is activated when leaking water accumulates to 3/4" of H2O in the pan. Once activated the valve shuts off the water and gas supply. Indicated by a red pop-up tab and no water at the hot side of the customers faucets. Non electric operation makes it a quick installation.

It looks and feels like a quality product. Sure beats coming home to a disaster for the homeowner.
                              Attached Files
                              WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                              ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Working...
                              X