blue means leakage later?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blue means leakage later?

I noticed that lots of places there are green spots on the copper joints. Does that mean the leakage is not far away? thanks

Re: blue means leakage later?

No.

Comment

It just means your plumber didn't wipe the joints well after soldering

Comment

the left over flux you're referring to is an issue if it's the older non water soluble style. the worst stuff i remember was "laco" this was a corrosive style flux and it continues to corrode if not properly washed off.

even the good stuff, nokorode will clump inside of joints if applied in excessive amounts.

you really need to take a good look and see if it's dried and pitted or still wet and greasy.

also we have been required to use water soluble flux out here for the last 15 or so years.

is it just 1 joint or all of them? how old an installation? remember that there are hundreds of soldered joints in a home. you can go crazy wondering what they all look like.

then again there's always propress

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

many places, particularly in my 26 yrs old solar system. the house is more than 50 yrs old. I think the heating system is that age.

is there a way to stop further corrosion. Sand them and then wipe them off with clean water?

Comment

try an area that is a simple fix just in case

i would use a green scotch brite pad and a little water to see what the surface looks like. is it pitted? or just looks bad?

26 years old is the old flux. it's either all dried out, or is still active. water will reactivate the corrosives so if you do clean it off, make sure to thoroughly clean and wash it off.

take some before and after pictures for us to see.

post them and we can all chime in

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

C flux users, aka Green Streak Artists

Comment

Blue ,green means,A lazy tradesman that hasen't passion for His craft !

Whenever possible " Hire for ATTITUDE, train for skill! "
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If it has blue/green barnacles, then its leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    If it has blue/green barnacles, then its leaking.
                    That's the key, if it's just a spot on the pipe, it's left over flux, if it is starting to hang off like a (pardon the reference) "booger" then it is leaking.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    the left over flux you're referring to is an issue if it's the older non water soluble style. the worst stuff i remember was "laco" this was a corrosive style flux and it continues to corrode if not properly washed off.
                    Laco today (the stuff in the Black can with the red lid) is water soluble. I use it and like it.

Comment

Working...
                    X