X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black pipe had a short life ?

I was thinking along the same lines as geno, something dripping on the pipe also. At least is was USA made pipe, I can make out "WHEATLAND USA ASTM A" but not much else.

Was the hole on the top, bottom or side? I know you said it was sitting on a brick but ou never really said how the hole was oriented.

G3

Comment

The USA part Bothers me the worst
      The home owner is a painter i run in to on a lot of jobs
      He was the one that went under and found the new leak
      and put a new piece in..
      He said it had a hole were the pipe touched a brick
      I assumed it was the bottom of the pipe were the hole developed
      I will get hold of him today and get some more info

Comment

I want to say thanks to all that helped with my pipe problem

I felt like i saved the American pipe name today

I talked to the home owner and stopped by his house today
        Looking in the tight crawl hole I can see the bare thermostat wires right next to the gas line, bare for a good 6" Both wires
        I wanted his wife to turn the air on so i could get a reading..But she had worked a night shift and never woke up
        I feel very sure after talking to the home owner on the phone that one of the bare wires was laying on the gas pipe, when he looked at it ..
        He said the skunks must have chewed them when he trapped them in one night , a year ago

So i figure the wire gave a low volt draw on the pipe every time the air kicked on ..In Arkansas it comes on a lot ,, And with it sitting on the brick it made concentrated ground sucking hole

New thermo wire rubber under the brick This case is closed

THIS IS WHAT I SAW AT THE OPPENING YOU CANT REALY SEE THE BARE WIRES BUT THEY ARE IN FRONT OF THE WIRE NUTS H.O SAID THEY WERE PUSHED OVER ON THE PIPES AND HE MOVED THEM OVER

Comment

Now I find that amazing, that if it was the thermostat wire shorting out, that there wasn't a fire, or explosion. I would put some kind of sleeve over that whole pipe, {like a piece of 11/2" or 2" pvc,but you'd have to take it back apart}.
          When we bury gas lines, for pool heaters, they allow the electrical in the same trench, but not the water line, go figure.
          Last edited by Don the plumber; 02-03-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

i have bin doing black gas pipe for over 25yrs and putting on roofs on buildings .we put 2 coats of paint and it id out in the sun all the time .after about 5 years the rust comes through the paint but i have bin back to jobs 20yrs later and no leaks .

we use to put the pips on pressure treated 4x4s but now we use a rubber block pipe support that has a piece of uni-strut on top

im glad you found the problem before some thing bad happened
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

The one thing i never mentioned about this house was it was the kind you either go in on your stomach or on your back no fun

Comment

Working...
              X