Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black pipe had a short life ?

I changed a pipe for a guy about 18 months ago
    He has LP gas and said he had a leak we took out a stick of old rusted pipe with a big hole in it.. put a new stick in, laid it on a brick to keep it out of the dirt and line up with all his old piping..

I see him at the post office today and he starts telling me the pipe we put in 2 years ago had a leak,,,He is a handy guy and him and a friend replaced it with a new stick ...said it had a hole in it as big as his pinky where the pipe touched the brick

I went out after work and took some pics the pipe...
    After seeing the hole in the middle of the pipe all i can think of is he has a electrical problem with a ground and its burning a hole in it
    What do you all think ?

Re: Black pipe had a short life ?

Comment

possibly the brick wicking moisture? or maybe just vibration?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Vibration is what i was thinking,, when he told me about the hole
        LOL he told me he had a bunch of skunks that got under the house and they might have moved the pipe when they climbed over & over it

that hole is just too rough. and Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          possibly the brick wicking moisture? or maybe just vibration?
          I always start with new bricks
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I don't know about this one. That's SCH80 piping I believe and that damage had to be happening from the go.

That had to lose $100's of dollars in propane....and he's not asking you to pay, nothing blew up?

I strap everything outside for vibration reasons, never used bricks for that, knowing they could move. Maybe a mouse thought it was PEX?

I'd be scared on this one, seriously. That could kill somebody with the dangers imposed with piping doing that.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

sch 80? i doubt it.

black pipe exposed to the elements will rust. was it a red clay brick.

chances are that moisture settled on the brick from the ground and the pipe remained damp.

we need to keep steel pipe a minimum of 6'' above the ground. and we typically use gal if it's exposed to the elements.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

This kind of stuff is why i don't go out of town much...
                I call it farmer plumbing

He turns his tank off during the summer
                The only time i was at the house was to change the last piece of pipe that had a similar hole, as i remember
                He doesnt want any thing,
                I went out there to see it for my self and try to figure out what happened

Comment

I use galy out side. It's obvious black iron will rust out doors
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This pipe came from under the house...
                    i just took the pic were it was laying

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                      all i can think of is he has a electrical problem with a ground and its burning a hole in it
                      What do you all think ?

SCARY!!

If it was electrical and you had a spark when the gas was leaking you may well have an explosion. So electrical doesn't seem likely.

If you have a pipe exposed to the elements you need galvanized imo. (I'm sure you know that). I would consider using galvanized in a crawl space. Even though it's not exposed to elements, crawl spaces are usually (not always) exposed to high humidity from the ground.

If the hole from the old pipe, and the hole in the new pipe are in the exact same location I would suspect something dripping onto the pipe from the house. Is there by chance a cold water line crossing above the gas line where the hole is? If so, perhaps condensation drops falling from the cold water line ate at the black steel??

Or did you discover that the hole was exactly where the brick was sitting? Considering the previous problems I would use galvanized, or copper pipe. Hang it to the framing using two hole straps or hang it with threaded rod and galvanized or copper split ring hangers, whichever is appropriate.

Just for yucks you might want to check for a voltage reading from the gas pipe to ground. If I was responsible I would want to check every angle.

Good Luck!!
                      Last edited by geno gardner; 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

The thing that bothers me is what ever did happen to the pipe
                        It happened in such a short time,, 6" from the hole the pipe is still black and as clean as the day i put it in.

The old pipe had a large hole ,I didnt think nothing about it other than thinking dang thats not good .and changed it dont remember the spot but the old 21 ft pipe was very rusted and laying in the dirt..

To Me 2 rather large holes in two different pipes ,,in the same spot he has to have other forces working against his pipe..
                        when i took the pics, i took my volt meter and stuck it to the copper coming out of his tank and stuck the other end in the snow.
                        it never read any thing

Next time i get out his way i am going to try it on the pipe in ?

Comment

use pipe strapping and hang it, take the brick out of the equation.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Oh man, That's crazy.

Those mice must have some strong teeth
                            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Why that happened I don't know and it would be bothersome to me too. Whenever I have something metallic that has to come into contact with masonry, I sleeve or tape it.

With that said, I know I've been places where black iron is exposed, in contact with masonry, or BOTH that is way over 2 years old.

Disturbing....

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X