Softeners & Iron Removal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softeners & Iron Removal?

What are the methods for softening water and iron removal?

Just water softeners with iron media? Or are there other methods?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Softeners & Iron Removal?

I heard that Easy Water system is awesome.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      I heard that Easy Water system is awesome.
      Voodoo.

J.C.

Comment

I have a Water Boss softener and it does a fantastic job of removing iron.

Comment

Without going into the technical details, (I do this for a living) all give you a quick run down.

If you want to do it right the best option is for two seperate systems. Water softener to control hard water, and a seperate Iron filtration system.

Couple of things before I can really help you.

1. How hard is the water?
          2. Well Water or City Water?
          3. Totally Dissolved Solids, TDS measurement.
          4. Chlorinatated? If yes what is the ppm of chlorine.
          5. What flow rates are needed.
          6. Is the Iron,

a. Ferric,
          b. Ferrous
          c. Iron Bacteria

If you want to talk details, you can PM me and all send you over my phone number if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
            Without going into the technical details, (I do this for a living) all give you a quick run down.

If you want to do it right the best option is for two seperate systems. Water softener to control hard water, and a seperate Iron filtration system.

Couple of things before I can really help you.

1. How hard is the water?
            2. Well Water or City Water?
            3. Totally Dissolved Solids, TDS measurement.
            4. Chlorinatated? If yes what is the ppm of chlorine.
            5. What flow rates are needed.
            6. Is the Iron,

a. Ferric,
            b. Ferrous
            c. Iron Bacteria

If you want to talk details, you can PM me and all send you over my phone number if that helps.
            Thanks! I'm really trying to learn the ends and outs of water treatment. Nothing on your level probably but I do run into different situations where typically an individual would like some form of water treatment and I need some more education on it.

The "typical" situations I see are:
            well water
            Iron (don't know which type)
            8 GPM or above desired flow rate
            Hardness will vary every time as you probably know.
            TDS is not measured by my local dealer/supplier.

I've also seen a few situations where chlorinators are required.

And I never could get a good recommendation or education on iron producing bacteria treatment.

My PM's stay full. I'll try to knock a few out and send you one.

I just re-read your post and don't even know how to distinguish the different irons that could be present. I usually have peoples water tested at one of my suppliers. They send it to the softener company they represent (Lancaster) with a recommendation for what to install. So they could be recommending something for Ferric Iron but I do not know why and am trying to learn why they recommend what they do. I get a list of components or maybe just softener x but no explanation as to why.

And often I am asked why by the end customer.

Thanks again.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 02-02-2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I use chlorine injection for iron bacteria
              softener for hardness and iron to 5ppm
              Birm for heavy iron

I sell clack and fleck valves

I have also had some luck with salt less unit made by Watts
              sigpic

Comment

I fully agree with the above statement. I have been hearing softener salesman telling people that a softener is all they need. I have tried using a softener for both hardness and iron at two of my own homes and it didn't work with less than 1 ppm of iron.

I'm not an expert on water but I have been installing softeners and iron filters for over 40 years in my own areas and do a great job of removing hardness, iron and sulphur (hydrogen sulfide) odor, or rotten egg odor.

There are lots of units on the market, the big box stores sell them (I wouldn't buy one of them, but that's just me). The Water Boss in my opinion is a joke. There are lots of proprietary units on the market that are overly priced and most of us won't work on them if you have a problem. So your dependant on the company that sold it to you when it breaks.

I would send off to Hach and get a small test kit. They make a bazillion of them. Then you can do the testing and make decisions on what is the best method of removing the minerals. They are on the Internet: http://www.hach.com/catreq
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                X