X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best ways to support an expansion tank

[QUOTE=James P;279339]Easy with the sarcasm.

I have an apartment complex that the city is requiring the installation of expansion tanks. Just need some ideas on the best way to mount them.

James,How did You read sarcasm into what I wrote ??? I was thinking ,with 60 You have to have some different installations and We'd all learn something here.
    Oh, I can be a horses a$$ , but You gave Me no reason to go there. Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
      we have private water. a well. i put the welltrols on a shelf up next to ceiling. laugh if you want but it frees up a bunch of floor space. i sell a lot of them by just asking people if they would like it moved. could they use the space. they do and they can. breid..............
      That's clever and pratical
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        I try to make a habit of hanging them down using threaded fittings. Never horizontal. I find it best to keep the bladder wet at all times for a longer life.
        Never thought about the bladder getting dry on the horizontal !

Comment

When you think about it the units don't weigh all that much until the bladder ruptures on day and the tank competely fills with water! Then watch out!

Comment

Hi everyone! ))
            Find a perfect contractor, post your leads, bid for business at Home improvement. We have thousands of contractors in our directory.

Comment

Hey spam spam
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Hey spam SCRAM !

Comment

Like others said, I have supported them in houses with galvanized strapping. In commercial applications where the exp tanks are larger and we have threaded rod around (we call it redi-rod you call it all thread) we use threaded rod to support plywood and hold the tank vertically to the celing, or we support the tank on unistrut hung from threaded rod in the same manner. We use the same technique for unit heaters. The inspectors around here seem to like it. For a semi-off topic comment, a guy in my neighborhood who was having a garage sale had a large unit heater hung from his garage ceiling with strapping, he said he moved the heater himself when I asked about it. No permits, no inspections. He even pierced the housing with sheet-metal screws. Incredible.

Comment

I usually put a 3/4 brass tee on the heat trap nipple with a 3/4 x 6 br nipple out the side and a 90 looking up. no support needed.

Comment

I imagine the W.H. expansion gives a little cushion [ water hammer ] to other fixtures.

I've been using a 2.1 expansion gal. tank [ no check valve] for a 40 gal. W.H. .

Maybe I should upsize for the whole house benefit. Any thoughts ?

Comment

Water hammer arrestors should be close to the fixture seved. I wouldn't think it wold do much.

I put a 3/4 tee on the run with the tank right off the vertical usually, no support needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddoggiest View Post
                          Water hammer arrestors should be close to the fixture seved. I wouldn't think it wold do much.

I put a 3/4 tee on the run with the tank right off the vertical usually, no support needed.
                          Our code requires air chambers at all fixtures !

Comment

i don't understand how the tank bladder could be dry if you mount it upside down. isn't it still under pressure and the bladder should still have some water in it? just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by taddeeper View Post
                              i don't understand how the tank bladder could be dry if you mount it upside down. isn't it still under pressure and the bladder should still have some water in it? just asking.
                              excellent point !

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                                I imagine the W.H. expansion gives a little cushion [ water hammer ] to other fixtures.

I've been using a 2.1 expansion gal. tank [ no check valve] for a 40 gal. W.H. .

Maybe I should upsize for the whole house benefit. Any thoughts ?
                                What would the benefit be on up sizing a thermal expansion tank on the water heater if you already use air chambers at every fixture?

Comment

Working...
                                X