Saturday February 13, 2010

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: Best ways to support an expansion tank

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
        tank supported with earthquake strap and 1 5/8" unistrut standoff

all thread

in the wind....

I like the E Quake strap,not everyone has those available. Your work is very impressive ! Are You from BILOXI ??
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          I like the E Quake strap,not everyone has those available. Your work is very impressive ! Are You from BILOXI ??
          thank you but huh..?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
            thank you but huh..?
            That was tongue in cheek . Under "ask the plumbing experts" Read " Does a sewer pipe really need slope ? Check out what inspectors sign off In Beloxi Ms. !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is a slow, but rewarding, work-in-progress project for my condo. I have the challenge of mounting a TET in a small water heater closet which has very little room. As shown in photos, I mounted two "L" brackets to a wood backboard that I will attach to the wall studs in the closet. Note the turnbuckles I used to enable quick tightening/loosening of the straps. I will actually install it my next free Sunday, whenever that is.

I did the time-consuming grunt work to get this thing mounted. I'll hire a plumber to hook it up.

Ooops, I'm not supposed to be on this Pro forum, but I thought my contribution was worthy. I'm on my way back to the HomeOwners forum ... don't turn me in!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
                As shown in photos, I mounted two "L" brackets to a wood backboard that I will attach to the wall studs in the closet.

That looks great! So nice you might want to chamfer the edges of the backboard and varnish it. What task do the sideways "L" brackets perform? (The ones without the plastic sheaths. Which was a good idea)

The turnbuckles are an especially nice touch imo. Normally I let the wood screw tighten up the band iron.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

You would think manufact. would come up with a simple solution for mounting the tank. I have an idea, how bout a cheap flat plate with 4 holes in it, like on the base of well pumps. They could make it slip on or off with some tabs, something like a sink bracket, and offer it as an option.

Comment

Thanks for your compliment, and I tip my hat to you for noticing details like the plastic sheaths I placed on the "L" brackets to cushion the tank.

The sideways (flat) brackets are braces to prevent splitting/cracking of the wood. It is a hardwood backboard and probably strong enough as-is, but the braces are cheap insurance.

The turnbuckles and eyelets are a fancy solution to address the difficulty in accessing the whole contraption once it is mounted in the water heater closet. While a simple wood screw would be a good fastener, it would be difficult to access with a screwdriver in my small closet space. The turnbuckles allow you to simply reach in with your hand to loosen/remove the straps, as well as put them back on. The little notecard in the lower right of the backboard provides written directions to a future homeowner/plumber who may need to access the tank for servicing and should save them a little time in figuring this out.

Over-thought and over-engineered? Probably, but I knew that. My regular job involves sitting behind a computer most of the day so I enjoyed this little project building something real with my hands. And I certainly learned a lot on this forum to motivate me.

Comment

Working...
                    X