X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ways to support an expansion tank

Funny,most aren't supported. Ones that are ,look sad. What's Your way for Vert. or horizontal
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Best ways to support an expansion tank

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Funny,most aren't supported. Ones that are ,look sad. What's Your way for Vert. or horizontal
    Usually have to think around whatever is available there.

Foot plates, all thread, split-rings, galvanized strap etc.

J.C.

Comment

I either point them straight up in the air, or straight down, so I dont actually bother supporting them.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

was thinking , It would be soo easy for the Manuf. to install some winged ears to receive
        small threaded rod in either attitude.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

if its just a small tank I screw a wing back 90 to some backing and hang in an accessible but convenient spot near the ceiling, then two hole clip the adjoining pipe in a few locations.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Wow, I was just thinking about that yesterday. I have done it many ways but usually I will put a short 1x4 vertical on the wall, screw my strap to the 1x4 and stud behind it, then wrap the strap around the tank, join the strap together with ΒΌ" bolts and nuts.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I would like to see some examples of different supports. I have 60 water heaters that need expansion tanks installed in the near future.

James

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
                I would like to see some examples of different supports. I have 60 water heaters that need expansion tanks installed in the near future.

James
                Please post pix of some typical w.h. installs You Have. We'll all learn something new from the great tradesmen here at Ridgid Central

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Please post pix of some typical w.h. installs You Have. We'll all learn something new from the great tradesmen here at Ridgid Central
                  Easy with the sarcasm.

I have an apartment complex that the city is requiring the installation of expansion tanks. Just need some ideas on the best way to mount them.

James

Comment

we have private water. a well. i put the welltrols on a shelf up next to ceiling. laugh if you want but it frees up a bunch of floor space. i sell a lot of them by just asking people if they would like it moved. could they use the space. they do and they can. breid..............

Comment

Here is a crap-tastic way to support an expansion tank
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's one of many examples to support a horizontal application.

We aren't allowed to use plastic anymore, hast to be metallic and it doesn't matter how thin the metallic type is.

Here's a self-supporting technique.

Here's another but like I stated, metallic strapping is required now.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I try to make a habit of hanging them down using threaded fittings. Never horizontal. I find it best to keep the bladder wet at all times for a longer life.

Comment

I think an St-5 takes a 12" IPS unistrut clamp. This is the best way I have found to mount one.

Have a good day!

Comment

When i worked on the west coast, i used a single earthquake

strap kit and bolted to a wall stud ! :d
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X