X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for ideas for making mud pump

I am looking for ideas so I can make a mud pump or vacuum. I want to be able to pressure wash trenches or holes. Instead of using an excavator in situations where there are buried services.
    I have looked at heavy slurry pumps and trailer vacs. I don't have enough experience with vac trucks to make a decision since it will be mud I need to pump, then seperate the water from the solids and leave the dirt at the job.
    Any ideas?
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Looking for ideas for making mud pump

I have never seen a system that attempts to seperate the water from the slurry... I always get fresh fill

Vac trailer is the only way to go but the mud soup is not usable

Comment

Would this system work for mud?
      http://amazingmachinery.com/pump-byos.html
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

that is pretty much a portapoty type setup. it will not seperate like you want.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I have never used a slurry pump will they do mud?
          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

if it is really watered down it would but you would need a place to store all that mud soup.
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

I really do not have any experience with this size of Diaphragm-type mud pump. I do have a smaller air powered one for pumping calcium for tire ballast, but a flexible diaphragm moves up and down and over sized check valves will allow large chunks to pass,
              un like a vacuum tank that needs a structural tank one can use a lighter tank to pump into, and would not have to be a pressure vessel. most can run dry with out damage.

http://www.amtpump.com/products/35-36.shtml there many companies that make this type of pump,

a description on how they work
              http://www.pumps-in-stock.com/diaphr...p_designs.html
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I have a diaphragm pump problem is when a good rock goes in they get caught on the flapper and it stops the pump from pumping.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Why don't you look at a ditch witch fx 20,30,or 60 series

Comment

Yea that fx 20 looks perfect. I would make one if I knew what kind of vac to buy.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

These are the ones I have been looking at trying to decide If I really need a commercial set up or something else working for me;
                      http://www.rjmcompany.com/vacuum_excavation.htm
                      Maybe I need to join a gold miners forum lol
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i have a 3'' diaphragm pump that will pump muddy water. just install a 3'' hose with a mesh cage to prevent heavy debris and rock.

nice thing is they will pump dry without damage.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Those trailer set ups are very expensive. Why not just buy a used single axle vactor truck that will be more multi purpose and build a hydro excavation kit onto it? All you need is a regulator, hose and cutting wand. The tanks on those are made to decant water too. You can find deals on those trucks in the 50k range.

Then there is the question of what type of vacuum. Postive displacement or fan type. Each has its own benefit. PD models are very expensive to repair though.

I bet Highland Sewer has something to say about this too.
                          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

in doing some looking
                            here is a compressed air power vacuum pump ( a number of sizes), they have videos on the site as well,
                            http://www.supavac.com/new/index.php

(I do not know what the local septic tank pumper guy is using now, but years ago when his Uncle ran the business, the guy bought a used NH3 tank, (same as a propane tank), and use his pickup engine, (Chevy 350) vacuum from the manifold to pump with, he made a safety with some water filter housings, and used some light bulbs as the floating seal, he had two of them in line, before it went to the port on the truck engines manifold, and then I remember a 2" suction hose and had added a (I think sliding gate type valve about 8" on the rear and on the bottom of the tank) as a dump valve, and had it slid in the back of his pick up truck,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

hey there ,
                              the blower to use is a "roots blower" the other types is a vane pump and a fan type blower
                              but to try to build a vac setup is foolish, the engineering that goes into those is crazy. i guarantee if one was built it would not function properly.besides that the vac blowers are very expensive on its own.
                              just watch ebay for a while, that,s what i did and wound up with a damn nice trailer setup for less than 6,000
                              Last edited by BCPLUMBER; 02-09-2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X