Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbo Torch Tip

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Turbo Torch Tip

    My trusty turbo torch finally is done after 10 years of faithful service, she just won't fully close anymore. After buying a new one, I was talking to the dirtiest of hands the other day and he told me a great tip for turbo torches. I'll just let the picture do the rest of the talking.
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

  • #2
    Re: Turbo Torch Tip

    Interesting modification there, should be patend. Have you tried the one Benzomatic makes with the hose? Sometimes it is way less cumbersome to use as you clip the mapp bottle to your belt and your free to solder with a lightweight handle and hose.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Turbo Torch Tip

      Putting that kink in the tubing didn't change the way the air enters the tip did it? I know when there is a nozzle/venturi involved and you put an ell in too close to them, it changes the flow of the water and messes things up. Same with flow meters.
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Turbo Torch Tip

        Originally posted by speedbump View Post
        Putting that kink in the tubing didn't change the way the air enters the tip did it? I know when there is a nozzle/venturi involved and you put an ell in too close to them, it changes the flow of the water and messes things up. Same with flow meters.
        I think Ben just swapped the standard STK-9 tip for the 45 tip that is stock with the self lighting model. That's pretty slick!


        Originally posted by plumb4life View Post
        Interesting modification there, should be patend. Have you tried the one Benzomatic makes with the hose? Sometimes it is way less cumbersome to use as you clip the mapp bottle to your belt and your free to solder with a lightweight handle and hose.
        I don't like that Benzomatic one. It doesn't get hot enough to do anything bigger than 1" effectively. The hose is a PITA most of the time anyway. The Turbotorch model is well worth the extra few bucks, but I use the STK-9

        I may have to add that custom shop upgrade myself.

        You guys out to start calling yourselves the Pipe Trades Think Tank

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Turbo Torch Tip

          Nope, standard tip, I put the bend in myself with a tubing bender. The nozzle is 1/2" od. My tubing bender nozzles are 2' and I needed every bit of that to ben that nozzle. For thos possiblely unfamilar with bending hard pipe, always spray wd40 on your bend so it bend the metal rather than bites down and flattens it. Another reason I don't like the hose models is I remove the bottle from the canister after each day. There's quite a bit of gas in that line just to let out.

          I used it last night and I couldn't tell the difference with that bend in there as far as heat output is concerned. But that little bend really made it much easier to use. I wish I did this 10 years ago.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Turbo Torch Tip

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by speedbump
            Putting that kink in the tubing didn't change the way the air enters the tip did it? I know when there is a nozzle/venturi involved and you put an ell in too close to them, it changes the flow of the water and messes things up. Same with flow meters.

            I think Ben just swapped the standard STK-9 tip for the 45 tip that is stock with the self lighting model. That's pretty slick!
            That's a nice bend. Thanks for the WD-40 trick. Question: When you look down the end when it's lit, (from a distance of coarse) does the twist still look the same where the flame comes down the end of the barrell?
            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Turbo Torch Tip

              It does. Can't tell any difference than the straight tip.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Turbo Torch Tip

                Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Nope, standard tip, I put the bend in myself with a tubing bender. The nozzle is 1/2" od. My tubing bender nozzles are 2' and I needed every bit of that to ben that nozzle. For thos possiblely unfamilar with bending hard pipe, always spray wd40 on your bend so it bend the metal rather than bites down and flattens it. Another reason I don't like the hose models is I remove the bottle from the canister after each day. There's quite a bit of gas in that line just to let out.

                I used it last night and I couldn't tell the difference with that bend in there as far as heat output is concerned. But that little bend really made it much easier to use. I wish I did this 10 years ago.
                Was bending Elec. conduit last week. Like the W D 40 trick !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Turbo Torch Tip

                  I found I wasted to much $ on the little MAP bottles.

                  A B-Tank gives soooo much more flexability and capacity. Air / Acetylene is the only way to go.


                  Like the bend and the WD is a great tip.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X