Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when waiting for the Plumbing Inspector?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you do when waiting for the Plumbing Inspector?

Name:  0d75734a335bb5c4fae495467565e980.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  46.1 KB

That green sticker is always a good thing at the end of the day on a friday, with the health department just itching to shut it down.

I think I'll avoid the rush next time and not get myself in that situation again.

Commerical plumbing permit with 4 fixtures *2 hand sinks, open receptacle and 3 compartment sink* ? $75.00
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

No contrasting primer color requirement for you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
        No contrasting primer color requirement for you guys?

Awe hell no! They trust us up here in KY!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post

That green sticker is always a good thing at the end of the day on a friday, with the health department just itching to shut it down.

I think I'll avoid the rush next time and not get myself in that situation again.

Commerical plumbing permit with 4 fixtures *2 hand sinks, open receptacle and 3 compartment sink* ? $75.00
          They actually approved Tee on its back?

Comment

what is amazing is that both inspectors passed this with holes in the wall.

out here not only would it most likely have to be a handicap accessible sink and bathroom. the waste lines would also have to be insulated so that a handicap person wouldn't get scalded from hot water in the waste line. but that the wall behind the sink is open and same with the corner.

what exactly is the inspector inspecting?

they just shut down a landmark of a restaurant last week due to a customer calling the health department complained about roaches. with workers exterminating and patching and painting, they were closed for 2 days.

so it's great you passed your inspection, but i hope the owner finishes the project.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Unbelievably, inspectors are not required to have an actual license, certification, degree, education nor anything else that one would expect them to have. In fact it is in most states, unconstitutional to require them to. It is also unconstitutional for the state to require towns to issue permits and inspect the work. WTF
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

what is amazing is that both inspectors passed this with holes in the wall.

Health Department already told the owner it all has to be covered up, smooth cleaning surface that has no finish capable of holding dirt/grime/scale.

out here not only would it most likely have to be a handicap accessible sink and bathroom. the waste lines would also have to be insulated so that a handicap person wouldn't get scalded from hot water in the waste line. but that the wall behind the sink is open and same with the corner.

This job was a hack job by actually another licensed plumber who fubbed up, and I was called in to straighten it all out...and it sucked.

I didn't want to mess with this one but I'm friends with the owner of the restaurant and he pitched me an offer I just couldn't refuse.

This is an extremely small kitchen with 2 hand sinks (one pictured) one open receptacle to catch the fountain machine and one 3 compartment sink

what exactly is the inspector inspecting?

The inspectors cared primarily about 2 things:

Water/air tight drain/waste/vent system done to code

and

correcting the horrible setup there was before.

they just shut down a landmark of a restaurant last week due to a customer calling the health department complained about roaches. with workers exterminating and patching and painting, they were closed for 2 days.

This guy had numerous complaints in the past 4 weeks and the health department had an obligation to step in and take control of it, just as a protection to the public. I don't blame them but the complaints were lies.

They were saying rodent droppings and that wasn't the case. When I build this video this evening with all the pictures I took, it would be pretty easy to assume there could easily be rodent droppings.

This guy was getting a 2nd inspection today and this time it had be flawless, even though they let him stay operable through the weekend.

It was crucial to have that plumbing inspected though friday, they wouldn't of let him operate without it at this point.

so it's great you passed your inspection, but i hope the owner finishes the project.

This restaurant is off to a rough and tumble start, and I bet money they'll do random checks on him knowing how it started with all the complaints and the condition of the kitchen even this past friday. I know for sure though it is clean now...no pictures to show otherwise as I'm done!

rick.

I'm going to create the video now, any questions or criticisms.....I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                  They actually approved Tee on its back?

Code in Kentucky.

Just to see if I'm following what you would be required to use...>> wye with a street 90 turned up to catch the lav?

I could do it, it'll pass, but a tee in that design is common practice here.

And KY has one of the most restrictive plumbing codes across the United States.

Comment

In Minnesota it's a bit different.

We use long sweeps on horizontal 90's. I count four 90's that we installed long sweeps, and the tee on its back would be a combo here. (It's also easier when it comes to drain cleaning time.

We are required to use a colored primer/cleaner?

If it was handicap we would need to have an insulated trap and water lines.

We would have to caulk the seal where the sink meets the wall, and we are also supposed to have the holes sealed where the pipe penetrates the wall.

We also have to support horizonal pvc or abs every 32".

It's nice to see copper instead of pex though.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Code in Kentucky.

And KY has one of the most restrictive plumbing codes across the United States.
                      If you don't mind, I'm curious, what is it about KY's code that makes it so restrictive in your opinion?

I know that if I got the installation in the pic inspected here in Minnesota it would not pass because of the reasons I previously posted. If this was a restaurant here, the health inspector would almost certainly not pass it on the wall opening.

I have no doubt the system you've installed installed will function. That is, it appears to be air/water tight, and is adequately vented. (I can't speak to pitch of course, but I assume the drain line is pitched.)

I just don't see anything in the pic that overtly indicates the KY code is particularly restrictive. (Thus my curiosity about what's "restrictive".) I'm absolutely not slamming any work pictured, or the fine State of Kentucky)

PS. I notice you bush down to 1-1/4 when you can. It's hard to get 1-1/4" dwv fittings up here so we just end up running the minimum piping in 1-1/2" even when we don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        If you don't mind, I'm curious, what is it about KY's code that makes it so restrictive in your opinion?

I know that if I got the installation in the pic inspected here in Minnesota it would not pass because of the reasons I previously posted. If this was a restaurant here, the health inspector would almost certainly not pass it on the wall opening.

I have no doubt the system you've installed installed will function. That is, it appears to be air/water tight, and is adequately vented. (I can't speak to pitch of course, but I assume the drain line is pitched.)

I just don't see anything in the pic that overtly indicates the KY code is particularly restrictive. (Thus my curiosity about what's "restrictive".) I'm absolutely not slamming any work pictured, or the fine State of Kentucky)

PS. I notice you bush down to 1-1/4 when you can. It's hard to get 1-1/4" dwv fittings up here so we just end up running the minimum piping in 1-1/2" even when we don't have to.
                        Looks like 2" to 1-1/2 to me, not 1-1/2 to1-1/4.
                        I didn't think that a tee on its back was approved anywhere. I know its just a lav, & I'm not critisizing either. Just learning more chit everyday from all you.

Comment

the tee on it's back is only legal here if the side of the tee is a vent only. The inspectors I had back in North Carolina wouldn't even approve it for that. if it had to lay down like that, it had to be a combination.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I might of used the wrong word to describe kentucky's code, but I'll say that KY follows NPC, which is the same used by New Jersey and New York. Lots of plumbers that either come to my state or just from Ohio or Indiana complain, a lot about how much more work is involved in our plumbing systems, enforcements of other items not normally the case in the majority of states.

Every fixture in the state of Kentucky must have a vent; there is no exception. No wet venting. The plumbing system is spec'd to maximum loads, not minimum.

That bushing wasn't my call; should of used a reducing tee for the application. On the grease trap I could run 1.25" for the vent before and after the trap but I left 2". I could of ran 2" for everything you see, would exceed code.

The fall on the drain will be seen on the video when I finally get it up.

Might take some pills...I dunno.

I just worked online for 7 straight hours without a break and it's knocked me down. Maybe 7 jimmy dean sausage patties in a few hours will bring me back to...

When I took my Ohio Journeyman's license, the head of the plumbing division asked me, "why are doing all that extra work?" when I did the isometric drawing on a commercial 3 story building. I aced that test because I plumbed it to KY specs, which overrides OH's governing code.

It don't make us special over here but I'll say for the record that many out of staters complain. I kinda like the idea that I know no other way than what we have. I'm not in new construction anymore but that still doesn't mean there's not a ritual in the service end of the equation that follows the code.

Comment

No wet venting.

Maybe 7 jimmy dean sausage patties in a few hours will bring me back to...

No wet venting? That's more restrictive than Minnesota.
                              Every now and then wet venting comes in handy when you have to fit ten pounds of plumbing in five pounds of wall.

Can't go wrong with Jimmy Dean Sausage. Every dog I know loves it!

Comment

No wet venting? That's more restrictive than Minnesota.
                                Every now and then wet venting comes in handy when you have to fit ten pounds of plumbing in five pounds of wall.

Can't go wrong with Jimmy Dean Sausage. Every dog I know loves it!

Damn I forgot about this thread...I was supposed to build this video.

I'm cooking a pizza right now and going to put it together right now.

I'm ready to put on my armored steel protective shield as I know it's going to be picked apart.

Remember, IT PASSED INSPECTIONNE'.

Comment

Working...
                                X