Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commission

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    It can actually be even worse than that. What if you have an unscrupulous plumber who charges $200 over the real price of a job just so that he makes an extra (insert %) X $200?

Mark

That would be stealing.

I like it when I go to bed at night I can go right to sleep.

Comment

A little more on Topic, no kids and no wife. What I mean by that is that your not like me and other guys that have a family where you might have to stick it out because you have a family to support. It might be a good time to start up on your own or find another outfit that works for you. I am sorry to hear you where put into a situation like that.

Dan

Comment

Ooter,

I hope there are other employment opportunities in your area.

I wonder, would your pay structure would change if you went full time with the company?
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

commission can work the company has to know its costs post a reasonable profit and control its employees as for you mr ooter its time to seek greener pastures good luck

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do have another part time job working for the local city which is very nice. It's a very flexible job. I left being full time to take this job which will hopefully turn full time soon. If I were full time at Mr. Rooter I would have the same pay except I would not have to pay any of my health insurance which would be a nice bonus.

When I was full time I was getting very sporadic hours. We were paid by the hour at that time and I would get from 20 to 40 hours.. Many of which would be after hours for which I was never paid overtime unless it was over 40 hours which they would try to curb.

Anyways, I'm off to a service call. Kitchen drain for a business. 6 month warranty with bio-choice. If it turns out to not be customer abuse then I wont get paid . I didn't even clean the damn drain orginally!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
              Anyways, I'm off to a service call. Kitchen drain for a business. 6 month warranty with bio-choice. If it turns out to not be customer abuse then I wont get paid . I didn't even clean the damn drain orginally!
              That seems like it should be illegal for non-exempt employees, but I guess you might be a contractor or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                Some guys are suited to commission, some aren't. I liked the system. The guys that I kept liked the system. I remain good friends with them to this day. My best guy was taking engineering classes at night. He finished, got his bachelor's degree and now if we have lunch, neither of us smells like honing oil .
                When hourly did your best guy produce more, less, or the same as on commission in a given hour?

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr. Ooter;281731]Thanks for the responses everyone. I do have another part time job working for the local city which is very nice. It's a very flexible job. I left being full time to take this job which will hopefully turn full time soon. If I were full time at Mr. Rooter I would have the same pay except I would not have to pay any of my health insurance which would be a nice bonus.

When I was full time I was getting very sporadic hours. We were paid by the hour at that time and I would get from 20 to 40 hours.. Many of which would be after hours for which I was never paid overtime unless it was over 40 hours which they would try to curb.

Anyways, I'm off to a service call. Kitchen drain for a business. 6 month warranty with bio-choice. If it turns out to not be customer abuse then I wont get paid . I didn't even clean the damn drain orginally![/QUOTE]

how in the heck does that work you eat the cost for another employee that didn't do a through job possibly

i can see if you had a go back, but this is a job you didn't even do.

time to get out of that shop.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Wow- now a topic I can dig my teeth into.
                    I spent 17 years working at an hourly shop, doing new installs, designing systems, working demanding and unrealistic schedules to get the customer in their new office, restaurant, lab, penthouse, tilt-up mega store. I busted my butt for an honest, yet CHEAP contractor. We were busy because we were the low bidder for 17 years. I was very lucky, but also very broke. No-one in the building side of plumbing makes any dough, except maybe the contractor, and that's only if he's smart and can float the capital to the general contractor or property owner or bank. It's a hard, hard business.
                    5 years ago I finally moved to service and repair, a place I pretty much turned my nose down on for years and years. I got in because I thought the company treated it's customers right, and I believed I could 'adapt' to it, and possibly make more money. I had a one year old son, and another on the way...
                    The long and short of it is that commision shops have the potential to do all kinds of damage to an unwitting customer. So can an hourly shop for that matter (we have a few hourly companys around here that charge way more than we do). The key is what the management of the company expects; service or sales, and they are not mutually exclusive.
                    Is it better for the customer to get a washer replaced instead of a new faucet? that depends on the condition of the faucet and what the customer really needs. I have replaced the washers on my neighbors shower 4 times in the last ten years. If I was charging her, which I don't, even at the hourly place I used to work for she would have paid to have a new tempering shower valve with ceramic disc cartriges by now. The finish on her old valve is ugly. She just dosent want to choke up the cash for the valve alone! I would still put it in for free cause she's my wife's friend!
                    Most hourly shops do the least amount of work required, rarely offer the customer a long term solution, and generally devalue the trade by giving the public an unrealisic impression of what it really cost to run a plumbing shop.
                    Where I think things could get on the straight and narrow for all of our customers is to demand that states require certification and/or licence for every single tradesman (tradesperson?). It would also be helpful if ethics were part of the certification program.
                    It would also be helpful if both sides would quit taking shots at each other, until you truly have experienced both sides.
                    "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig"

Comment

When I got my contractors license, they did a credit check too. Personally I think that is somewhat of an ethics test. In my opinion, your credit speaks volumes of who you are, what your standards will be, & how ethical or honest you will be as a contractor.

Comment

3 fingered I agree with you whole heartedly, but there in lies the delima!!!A rule or law is only as good as its enforcement.Most tradespeople are to be state certified, but everyday I run into another hack running around playing plumber or electrician. Here is the funny part about this whole train of thought, up untill the first of this year irrigation system did not have to be inspected( only the backflow devise).Our inspection dept. can not keep up with what they have on their plate now , so our city fathers thought it would be nice to add more to it. Good luck fighting the good fight against unlicensed tradesmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Threefingered View Post
                          Most hourly shops do the least amount of work required, rarely offer the customer a long term solution, and generally devalue the trade by giving the public an unrealisic impression of what it really cost to run a plumbing shop.
                          Hoping I'm not dense but sometimes I am a little slow on the pickup. Do you mean hourly shops give the impression that it costs more or less than what it really costs to run a plumbing shop? (I'm thinking you mean less but I'm not certain).

BTW: I work either hourly or will offer a quote, whichever makes my customer more comfortable. I also do freebie service calls when it seems appropriate. A shop paying plumbers doesn't have nearly the latitude a one man shop does.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

To make a bold statement that people on commission are unethical and will sell anything to anyone is ludicrous it is not limited to commission only. Some hourly or commission based companies mistreat clients as well as treating their clients very well. There is nothing wrong with being sales professional, each and every one of us is a salesman even though we are a plumbers. We sell our ethics, professionalism, and company every time we meet with a client.

The key is hiring ethical employees and staff. When you hire an unethical person you receive unethical behavior. This is not limited to commission sales only. Repairing a ten or twenty year old faucet or offering a brand new faucet is never unethical. Not offering a new faucet is unethical; the choices have been taken away from the client. The client is strong armed into making a repair only or nothing at all. The client is paying the bill and should have a choice of replacement over a repair each every time. It is never the technician’s decision to make and once they believe it is it now is an unethical situation that is present. I have a difficult time understanding or justifying a technician who decides what the client can or cannot pay without asking the client what he or she wants to pay.

The best practice is to ask questions. How often has this happened? What was done in the past? What would you like to have done today? What would you like this to do better for you? Another best practice; price out the repair and price out the replacement and allow the home owner to visualize the difference between repair of an old item that may give them two years or less or a brand new product that will give them quite a few years without issues. Give the homeowner choices and allow them to make the best decision possible for him or her. This is never unethical.

I see tradesmen all the time so proud that they were able to fix an old item and keep band aiding the problem. Causing a return trip yearly or bi-yearly costing the homeowner money on each trip and losing money by having to take off work to meet the tradesmen. This is not helping the client. However if the client is given choices and chooses this method it is their decision to make and not mine.

Replacing a cold stem and seat for x amount of money and then charging the same amount to change the hot stem in two months or charging 75% of the fee right now to change both the hot and cold makes sense. Each stem is the same age. Not unethical.

Now on the same token there are highly unethical and untrained professionals that will take advantage of clients and they should be turned into the licensing bureau. They should lose their license. Manipulation should never be justified or accepted.

I do not care what anyone charges or what each companies costs to do business are that is not relevant. It does appear that the work culture at Mr. Ooter’s company is in question and the organization is trying to take advantage of the employees and clients. I agree that he needs to find a different place of employment that will make him happier to be there.

I have issues with pay the employees a good wage; shouldn’t they be making a great wage and a good living? The employees are the lifeblood of a company and affect the outcome of the company. Over time should create a fantastic wage. Bonuses should be monthly not yearly. Create an environment that changes the work culture from going to work to coming to work.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              personally i feel a commission based salary creates an environment that is not good or fair for the customer or the employee.

pay your employees a good wage and give them a nice christmas bonus to keep everyone honest.

all commission makes the employees sell, sell, sell just to survive. i don't like it

rick.

How can u pay a service plumber hourly? what incentive do they have to sell the job to the customer. Im gonna add another plumber soon I pay them 25% of the job and take back 25% of gas and supplies they buy with my credit card. I good plumber will make 40-50 a year this way. And owner should make about the same off of them
                              You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingParamedics View Post
                                How can u pay a service plumber hourly? what incentive do they have to sell the job to the customer. Im gonna add another plumber soon I pay them 25% of the job and take back 25% of gas and supplies they buy with my credit card. I good plumber will make 40-50 a year this way. And owner should make about the same off of them
                                Not to take away from commissioned plumbers but.........

If they are truly a plumber and not just an unskilled kid who rode with someone for a few weeks, his incentive is the customer needs the work done. There are a ton of non-commissioned plumbers out there who are selling customers the work they need because they need it.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X