Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Commission

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
    When I was in the union, they had residential scale, & commercial scale, in an effort to make the union more competitive in the housing field.The 2 scales were about $6 per hr diff.{res. being less} Well it never worked. .
    we had the first and the last job that this actually was used on.

544 apartments and we ended up at $6.00 an hour pay cut to land the job. our local never voted for it, but the local that did, is where the job was located. we had to hire 28 guys from their hall and only allowed 3 for guys outside their local.

job made money and boss gave the 3 of us our $6.00 back for the entire 1.5 year project

the local that voted this in went bust and we lost a lot of good plumbers that were not part of the 3 that were allowed to man the job. it was a lose, lose situation for all.

the only one that made out was the boss who closed up shop after 50 years in business and myself who went into business soon after. otherwise i'd probably still be there and not on my own.

i still keep in touch with a few of the guys and they've got over 30 years in with the union. sure they get a retirement pension for the years, but i rather doubt they generate the income like the guys who went off on their own.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

When I was in Local 109 back in the early 70s, the boss negotiated a $1.00 per hour cut in pay with the Union for our service department (50+ guys). It seemed the entire time I was there the Union kowtowed to the owner trying to keep them in the Union. At the end he went non Union and everyone lost their job. Today the company is celebrating it's 96th year in business and I believe the Union is gone.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
        As you mentioned, the big difference is, plumbing is never done in a shop, or cotrolled environment. Flat rate pricing for different phases, or operation would never work either, in plumbing IMO. You gonna pay a guy different for water piping, than drain piping or setting fixtures?
        When I was in the union, they had residential scale, & commercial scale, in an effort to make the union more competitive in the housing field.The 2 scales were about $6 per hr diff.{res. being less} Well it never worked.
        We had a huge commercial job going & at the time only had 1 plumber that was certified backflow tester. Back flow testing was on the res. scale {as per union rules}. So this guy would get taken off my job to test BFP's and would get less pay for it. He goes out & spends 3 days at a class, gets certified, & then gets less pay. Then I always had to hear about it when he came back, & I had no control over it.
        I agree. It was much easier to implement a commission system in the shop environment. It is true, though, that it is a powerful motivator for some people. Others don't respond well and start looking for another hourly job.

Comment

Re: andy

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          i can relate. one of my customers is earl gaerte. they buy blanks for heads, cranks and blocks. rework them to their specs. breid...........
          Gaerte makes a good sprint motor. One of my pals in that biz was Joel Kaeding. The family had a complete machine shop on-premesis, more or less the same equipment I had. But they bought their sprint motors from someone else, and if I recall right they were from Gaerte.

We were doing similar things, on a smaller scale. But there is always the customer that comes in with an armload of stuff that he bought online at Summit or Jegs.They thought I was trying to rip them off when I told them they needed a valve job and all that other rework on their out-of-the-box new heads. So I would take them into the shop, shine a flashlight on the valves, and have them look through the ports. It kinda ended the discussion.

Comment

Working...
          X