X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dig surprises (Pics)

So I knew I had a root infested saddle that needed to be changed out...
    Called in my locate and got everything marked...
    I noticed that I was having a hard time locating the line with a 512Mhz Sonde and Scout...

It turns out that the city was off on the main line placement by 7' which then placed the main in a minefield of hand digging

Here is the first unmarked Gem (40 pair telco)

Some days ya just gotta hand dig... (100+ Pair and a 4" CI to 8"clay)

Re: Dig surprises (Pics)

been there, done that!!!!It sucks, but just another day in the life.

Comment

Originally posted by JW3 View Post
      been there, done that!!!!It sucks, but just another day in the life.
      Judging by the size of the hole, it looks like more than a days digging.

Comment

bill

orange handle round point. is that guaranteed for life? i have one like it that is. the hardware store i got it from changed hands and the name wore off of the handle. do you know what brand it is? thank you. breid..............

Comment

Re: bill

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
          orange handle round point. is that guaranteed for life? i have one like it that is. the hardware store i got it from changed hands and the name wore off of the handle. do you know what brand it is? thank you. breid..............
          I think it is Hesco but I will check at the supply house today... Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
            Judging by the size of the hole, it looks like more than a days digging.
            Started off with the Backhoe Thats when I found / cut the first unmarked telephone wire and decided to slow down...

Comment

I LOVE surprises!

Comment

Re: bill

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                I think it is Hesco but I will check at the supply house today... Bill
                The brand is Hisco and it's made in Oklahoma city

http://www.hisco-okc.com/home.asp

Comment

haha biggest surprise we ever got doing underground was at the "old" Roane county court house. Had to run about 100' of 6" from the back of the block to the back of the building. Where we had to dig was along the sidewalk of where the old jail house was before it was torn down. The old court house is now a private museum for the history of roane county and the manager wanted us to give her anything we dug up. The first thing we dug up was their 1" water line, next was an abandoned brick manhole, and then came all of the liquor bottles and horse shoes. Pipe in place, tested off and we start back filling and finish grading. My helper comes walking up with a handful of bones, and some were obviously saw cut. This court house dated before the civil war and was used by both sides as a hospital during the war. Of course you know what we were thinking....soilder boys have lost their limbs here and the remains were buried. I took them to the manager and she was estatic with joy to have found bones. She asked if they were human and I replied "I have no idea, but send them up to Knoxville to UT and they should be able to tell you". She was not happy with that idea because they might keep them if they were human. About an hour later there were about ten cop cars and yellow tape being stung up everywhere............we were in a crime scene. I just laughed and said even so, the grand kids of the killers were dead by now. Started filling out reports and news crew shows up, just plain crazy. One of the detectives "thats a human bone because I have seen plenty of them". All of a sudden, as quick as they appeared they were gone.............calf bones..........must have been a bbq at the court house. We still laugh about that one.

G3

Comment

Strangest thing a member of my family ever dug up as a bottle of moonshine.

Two of my uncles were digging the hole for a new outhouse back about 70 years ago here in St. Paul. (The old outhouse had filled up so they were moving it.) They dug down and hit an old campfire, and a bottle filled with a liquid and a cork on top. They showed the bottle to my grandfather. He popped the cork. Smelled the contents. Then commenced to drinking.

It was moonshine from prohibition days. The bootleggers were known to have had stills on the property before my grandparents bought the place.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                      Strangest thing a member of my family ever dug up as a bottle of moonshine.

Two of my uncles were digging the hole for a new outhouse back about 70 years ago here in St. Paul. (The old outhouse had filled up so they were moving it.) They dug down and hit an old campfire, and a bottle filled with a liquid and a cork on top. They showed the bottle to my grandfather. He popped the cork. Smelled the contents. Then commenced to drinking.

It was moonshine from prohibition days. The bootleggers were known to have had stills on the property before my grandparents bought the place.
                      If you know the site of the old outhouse grab a shovel and look for poison bottles. Most folks back then threw them in there, not with the other bottles. Some poison bottles can fetch some pretty good coin.
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I dig old outhouse holes for a hobby, good clean fun! Seriously I do! I have a large bottle collection from the late 1800's, worth a pretty penny!

Comment

There is a country type of convience store over in Vonore that also has a deli. In the back dining area there are some framed news paper clippings of where they were building the store. Seems there was an old barn on the site at one time and the dozer uncovered several gallons of shine that were in a dug out hole and covered up, still good as the day it was born.

G3

Comment

I had a good one about 2 months ago. Rodded a building drain and get forty feet in and all i am doing is shining my cable. We go to dig it up and find a huge cavern under the surface 6' around 4' deep. A directional drill company ran a 7200 volt primary feeder right thru the center of the lateral. It took almost 4 years for enough dirt to fill the line to plug it up. It was located in a utility easement and had to be about 70% hand dug. We ended up rerouting the lateral to get away from the primary. The city we worked for ended up backcharging the drilling company. They just called me again last week because they have found a few small sink holes on the same street, we have not dug these up yet!! Im just glad my rod didn't penetrate the primary!!
                            Last edited by Jim_W; 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM.

Comment

dug up a sewer for a house in omaha that went down a bank around 25-30' down to road .once we got to the street and started digging where we thought the problem was got about 6" into the ground and started smelling gas since we were about 3' from where gas was marked in this old dirt road we hand dug down another 2' and found the problem!
                              the jackoffs from gas company bored a 2" plastic hig pressure gas main right through the center of the 4" clay sewer pipe,when they pulled their pipe through the hole down the street the clay scraped the side of the plastic for around 30' apparently there was enough dirt compacted on the road that nobody ever noticed till we came to fix the sewer. gas company moved fast fixing that little screwup!

Comment

Working...
                              X