Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Always a Good Feeling

To go to a customer's home to take care of a leaking flapper,

to leave that same home knowing you just scheduled two toilet replacements, a water softener replacement and diagnosing a water heater problem well enough to identify and get a cycle of hot water to get them through the night...

knowing there was not one inkling of high pressure sales, not one attempt to enterprise the moment, not one unjustified reason for letting the customer wander into those possibilities,

other than providing the educational value and voice of reason that enabled that very customer to justify the pattern of thinking that the fellow in front of them can make these problematic situations go away with the movement of the hands, the talent and the expertise that emboldens through years of experience.

And no threat of the inability to do the job correct.

I can be quite descriptive in how I feel at times in print, but the experience I gain being self-employed and slotting out full days into my next week of work, knowing those days "at one time" would take over a week of driving back and forth, doing 28 jobs to just one to make that kind of coin, rewarding.

That's why you have to know the 'full picture' in plumbing, possibilities, product knowledge, damn near everything down to who's screwing the secretary at the supply house. It all matters.

I don't know if my confidence came with my gray hair or my defiance against the system that told me years ago I wouldn't be a plumber anymore due to health problems...

but it sure started a hell of a fire under my arse that seems to grow more intense as my life carries on because every day I keep trying to do more than before, advancing my position.

Anyone can be an inspiration to others but you have to be an inspiration to yourself and understand your goals can only be accomplished if you decide those goals are just stepping stones to the next big thing.

That's how I think...and others should follow some internal design that the motions that carry your existence are always behind the eyes you see out of.

I couldn't do this when I worked for others, but the freedom I experience now as a business owner is remarkable in many ways. My wealth is not in what I have in posessions (little if not anything that couldn't be sold on ebay in a week) but what doors I've opened for myself in opportunities to serve others in many levels.

I offer the 'safe' description of dealing with others. Shrewd in business tactic? Of course. But you have to be. You won't win the world and the prize being the nice guy.

Think like you are always broke and someday you'll become wealthy by default.

I'm not talking money.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: It's Always a Good Feeling

"Anyone can be an inspiration to others but you have to be an inspiration to yourself and understand your goals can only be accomplished if you decide those goals are just stepping stones to the next big thing."

I'm learning this and intend to move forward. I've been standing by wondering too long. This recession has tought me a thing or two. It's easy when it's easy, when it's hard you learn, do and thrive on what you do.

I think we are in the same mindset Dunbar!
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

spot on duck

breid.................

Comment

Way to go Dunbar and you have just saved that client a lot of time and money not to mention frustration.Taking care of all the clients problems at one time allows them to stay at work instead of meeting the plumber each time work is required or noticed by the home owner.One trip saves time and money and you helped the client in more ways than anyone could imagine.

Not to mention how much money it saves the company,less trips costs the company less. Each trip to a clients home costs the company close to one hundred bills to drive out to their home. Less wear and tear on the vehicles parked at one clients home.

A win win situation for the client and you. I tip my hat to you.

Comment

yes dunbar is a great plumber and salesman

but " if " he was working for somebody

on sales commission would you all say

the same thing ?
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Yes I would.

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post

yes dunbar is a great plumber and salesman

but " if " he was working for somebody

on sales commission would you all say

the same thing ?

And right there proves that you can have great salesman as a business owner and great salesman as an employee on commission. We as business owners get to take it all home, the employee gets the commission. Funny how that works out?
              It's good to be king!

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                "Anyone can be an inspiration to others but you have to be an inspiration to yourself and understand your goals can only be accomplished if you decide those goals are just stepping stones to the next big thing."

I'm learning this and intend to move forward. I've been standing by wondering too long. This recession has tought me a thing or two. It's easy when it's easy, when it's hard you learn, do and thrive on what you do.

I think we are in the same mindset Dunbar!
                My father {who was also a plumber} always said there are 3 types of people in this world.

1-Those that make it happen.

2-Those that watch it happen.

3-And those that wonder what happened.

Comment

This post is exactly what I needed... Thank You

It seems like every service call this week was for customers that had been screwed over by hacks until their stuff quit working.

I am glad to be in the presence on honest, competent tradesmen.

Comment

Working...
                  X