Sewer line done wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer line done wrong

So I get a call to unclog a sewer line at a house I have been to before. I go there on Tuesday morning and run my cable. I get the line unclogged, but the problem was in a different spot then it had been the other two times I was there, and my cable hit something I couldn't get past.

Long story made short, me and the homeowner decided I will come back on Saturday and open up the sidewalk in front of her house to get to the problem spot in the sewer line.

Here is what it looked like before I started. The sewer line leaves the house next to the window, goes through the cleanout, and to the street.

After removing the concrete and digging down, I found fittings on the pipe that made me think there was a p-trap on the line.

So some more digging, and removing a bit more concrete, and I found out why I couldn't get my cable to go past a certain spot.

The lower pipe is the sewer line that leaves the house. It had concrete over it from when the slab was poured for the home. When it came time to run the line out to the street, they hooked on to the cleanout riser, and went downhill from there. Morons.

The house is between two and three years old. The homeowner is going to give the builder a few days to correct the problem. If he doesn't, she will hire me to run a new sewer line, and then take the builder to court.

The worst part of this job is that it was permitted and inspected. When people here me talk bad about inspectors, this is the reason why.

For her sake, I hope the builder does the right thing and fixes it. My wallet hopes it ends up in court though.

Re: Sewer line done wrong

That's not even cutting corners. That's just dumb.

J.C.

Comment

How much longer would it have taken to dig under the walk and put it on the proper grade .
      I don't know what to say
      Don't blame the inspector the plumber did every thing to hide this

Comment

I could be wrong, but the amount of trash I found in the trench leads me to believe the pipe was put in before the sidewalk was poured. Also, if the sidewalk was poured first, there should have been a cleanout in the middle of the sidewalk.

I blame the plumber (if that's who actually did this), but I've seen inspectors inspect jobs without getting out of the car before. I'm sure they are not all bad, but I will still complain about them.

Comment

that is just plain stupid on somebodies part.

how far is it to the street? if it is just all gravel not too bad, hopefully no asphalt driveway or landscaping.

If the contractor will not fix it I would be sure to take PLENTY of pics maybe even smoe video.

G3

Comment

It will take a 60' long trench 3' deep to run the new sewer line. The yard has no landscaping, just dirt, and the property slopes away from the house, which is lucky for the homeowner.

I took many pictures, and left copies of them with the homeowner.

Comment

What I see. The plumber didn't have a long sweep 90 on the job. BUT He had a kelly fitting
              [ 2 way sweep ] so the lazy guy used that with a band on the end. Am I missing something?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Saw your post on the other forum. It's just as funny to look at on this forum
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

If the line coming out of the house is a couple of feet lower then the yard lateral at the point of connection, will a new yard line connected to the house stub out be to low for a proper connection to the existing city sewer at the street? In other words, do you have enough fall?

Comment

Just plain wrong! A plumber couldn't have done that.

Comment

wtf

so the house line was installed first and then the sewer lateral was hooked to the top of the 2 way c/o riser wtf

have you camered the line to see if there is enough fall to hit the city main when you lower things.

not that you want a sewer ejector, but that might have to be an option.

rick.

can we go visit next month when we're in town

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Now I get it. I'll be out with My lazer level and hoe. That Guy from BILOXI sure gets around!
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i wonder if the dumbasses brought out the sewer thinking the city main was deeper then found out it was shallow in the street?I did a sewer job in arkansas on my dads place years ago when the city brought in a new sanitary sewer to do away with septic tanks.
                          He told me it was 10-12' deep in road he watched them install it.so anyway i bring this sewer out of his basement at around 8' below the grade of yard so he could have a basement floor drain and spend next 2 days backhoing and jack hammer solid rock to get to his property line,city inspector says it looks beautifull so i backfill it and go out in the road to find the sewer stub.
                          well i hit the sewer stub at 3' deep in the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know who i was more pissed at dear ol dad,the inspector or myself for listening to them! anyway started the whole process over with it coming out of house at 2'!

Comment

I feel sorry for the homeowner...what are the chances the builder is still in business?

Comment

I don't know what everyone's getting so alarmed about. Just think of it as an extra long house trap. A large house trap with an opposing horizontal buried cleanout. (the latest in cleanout technology)
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                              X