X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprenticeship

Union or non-union... Is it worth it to go to the 2yr program or start in the union. I am 3yrs into a 5yr bachlors degree and am sick of the idea of sitting at a desk all day. I need some advice. Im just looking for a solid career so I can support my family.

Re: Apprenticeship

<Union or non-union... Is it worth it to go to the 2yr program or start in the union. I am 3yrs into a 5yr bachlors degree and am sick of the idea of sitting at a desk all day. I need some advice. Im just looking for a solid career so I can support my family.>

Just curious, what degree are/were you pursuing?

If you want to be both happy and successful you should "Follow your Bliss". So what makes you happy?

This doesn't answer the specific questions you posed, but it does address the root of your need. What makes you happy?
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

definatly the union apprenticeship. problem is it's a 5 year commitment and i'm not sure with the economy that you'll get hired on.

plus the starting pay is not exactly enough to support a family.

make a call to your loacl union aprenticeship council and pick their brain. see if it is feasible drop school and get into an apprenticeship at this time in your life.

i started wehn i was 18 just out of high school and not married so i had litte expenses.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I am currently persuing a degree in Airport management. I just dont want to be like my father and become a workaholic. I am so sick of the whole academic thing that I want to just get my hands dirty. I come from a very white collar family and it makes them frustrated when it comes to my career choice.

Comment

luke, don't worry about the white collar stereotype. i am respected just as much as any doctor or lawyer out there.

my mom had hesitations of me not going to collage years ago. i think i proved to everyone i made the right decision

call your local union apprenticeship council and pick their brain. discuss it with your wife and see what both have to say.

if you can swing it financially at this point in your life, go for it. nothing wrong with being respected by all 1500 of my customers.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

id say find a job as a laborer for a plumbing shop to try it for a while before you commit yourself to something you dont like,im not even gonna touch the union/non union card here!

Comment

You have to get hired before you can even make the decision. Apprentices must be employed by a master plumber.
              sigpic

Comment

Finish your degree, then go for the apprenticeship. That is a lot of education to let it go to waste.

I am glad I have my degree. When my knees or back give out I will have the degree to get me a good paying desk job

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                  Finish your degree, then go for the apprenticeship. That is a lot of education to let it go to waste.

I am glad I have my degree. When my knees or back give out I will have the degree to get me a good paying desk job
                  Same opinion as Northern for me. Those with the most diverse skill set are those that will always be able to find a job. I have a degree. I'm glad I have it. It's all about having options

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Benson View Post
                    I am currently persuing a degree in Airport management. I just dont want to be like my father and become a workaholic. I am so sick of the whole academic thing that I want to just get my hands dirty. I come from a very white collar family and it makes them frustrated when it comes to my career choice.

Luke, just because your father is a workaholic does not mean you will become a workaholic. No matter what profession you choose.

Why plumbing? Why not electrical? Why not heating? Why not carpentry? Why not carpet laying or tile setting? Why not become a diesel mechanic? There you get dirty but it's "clean" dirt and grease. I haven't seen anything written by you that indicates you have a passion for anything much less plumbing in particular. Not to be discouraging, but if you are over the hump in getting your degree but are fed up. What's to stop you from quitting once you get three years into your plumbing career? Thus my question, why plumbing? What is it about plumbing that will make you happy as opposed to becoming a bus driver? I can tell you that in service plumbing we get to see what everyone else does not want to see.

Luke, I'm absolutely not giving you a hard time, I'm trying to ask you questions to make you consider your path and why you're choosing it. As I mentioned before, the secret to long term happiness and success for you and everyone else is to "Follow your bliss!" Do that which makes you happy. Success will follow. Look at Rick.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Most people do not go to school and strive to become a plumber. If you finish your degree you will be so far ahead of the plumbers around you, you can rise to the top fast. Plumbing is a decent trade but I wouldn't tell my kids to stay in school and become a plumber. You can always do plumbing, but not a degree.

If you do go that route the union is great but you can also move up much faster and learn more in a quality open shop then test out and organzise in later. The classes are a must though.

Comment

Union or non unon as it has already been mentioned you need on the job training and that requires you to be employed by a plumbing shop.

It is hard work and long hours. Many plumbers have bad backs,knees and hips and it does come back to you later on in life.Stay in school,receive your degree. You can get your hands dirty later on and decide if the trades are for you.

Comment

Luke, I would suggest that any education is never a waste might as well
                          finish up with your original plans, the apprenticeship program will always
                          pay dividends in the long run. As we all age in this plumbing profession
                          the hard work, and physical challenges are always on your mind.

I'm not that same kid that I was 1980, today it's laying out jobs
                          purchasing, estimating, ect, and coaching all the younger men
                          in the shop. The degree will always help in most any city, county,
                          or state job as inspector, or other job. Brains and knowledge will
                          carry you long before your back or body ever give out.

Comment

Well, I got an offer for a job interview with a local company that is doing jobs all over the midwest... Now this is so tempting to get my feet wet and make some good honest money. My fiance doesn't agree with me on this, she also belive that I need to finish my degree now. I have a year and a half left, but that could be 2 years. Any opinions?

Comment

St Cloud has an excellent program that will tie you up 2 nights a week in school.
                              Call the union and see where they are at.You will not find a better plumbing education program.

I would take the time to finish up your degree and by then the economy will have picked up.
                              The test to join the program happens in march.
                              Call the hall and test the waters.
                              Phone: 612-333-8601
                              Toll Free: 888-333-8965
                              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X