X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif. Lead and Home Depot-Chuckle

I posted this here because it deals with plumbing fixtures, even though its kind of a Chit-Chat story. I figured it might help some of you in the future, as I rarely ever go read the Chit-Chat areas.

After reading this little story those of you that operate out of California will just nod your head and snicker, those of you out of State will throw up your arms and say "What the F’ck"

If your doing business in California your now well aware of the new lead free law and how it effects potable water distribution. For the most part its been pretty effortless for most suppliers and manufactures.

So not only do we do Industrial water treatment and plumbing but we design engineer and manufacture custom equipment, etc....

We buy from a variety of wholesalers, industrial supply houses from plumbing to specialized industry specific companies. We also find ourselves buying stuff from Home Depot. Those last minute items you got to have but don’t want to go through the normal channels, compression fittings, nipples etc....

About every six months I go on a scavenger hunt and gather up all the Crap we bought but did not use and return it in bulk to Home Depot and have them credit back our commercial account. This usually amounts to a couple hundred to a thousand bucks.

A couple of days ago I walk in with a shopping cart full of stuff. Ok, no issues in the return until they got to anything manufactured by Watts. These are brass compression fittings and braided stainless steel hoses. Every one of these items they would not take back, even though they were purchased on our corporate card and recently. Reason, California’s new lead free law.

I went as far as to have the store manager come over and look into it. Meanwhile there is a line forming of around twenty people trying to return stuff. (I’m thinking,.... for once I’m the guy that I’m always pissed off about when I’m in the back of that line, man that was a good feeling)
    The manager tells me that the only thing they can do for me is give me a penny apiece. New policy on non-compliance fittings for California. (yeah you read that right, ... One Cent for each item.) Were talking $12.00 stainless steel hoses here, and $3.00-$5.00 fittings. As I am listening to this BS I’m looking down at this pile of fittings and doing the math in my head. "Sh....t" I have got to have several hundred bucks in product sitting here. Anyways there is nothing that the manager can do so I gather up everything and leave.

So the next day I call up one of my commercial suppliers to find out who at Watts they deal with. I figure all just go to the source. They point me to the manufacture rep. I talk with them. Guess what even though they are the manufacture rep to the area. Home Depot deals directly with Watts. So they give me a Watts special contact number.

I call up Watts. Tell them who we are, what we do and the situation. The guy at Watts was pretty apologetic. Says that even though he does not work for Home Depot he can make things happen with them. Here is what he wants me to do.

1. Go back to Home Depot.
    2. Get the store manager to inventory everything I have.
    3. Have the store manager call him at his extension.
    4. Store manager needs to provide him with an itemized list and costing with total.
    5. He will then authorize Home Depot to credit us back the amount.
    6. They send a credit to Home Depot from Watts.

So when the guy was done, (and I am literally thinking to myself I would have better luck getting an audience with the Pope, before I see any of this happening) I ask him the following questions.

me: did anything change in the products?

Watts: Nope its all good.

Me: So what’s the deal?

Watts: We had to change the SKU’s for California and Vermont.

Me: So your still using all the SKU’s on these packages outside of
    California.

Watts: yes....

So I get of the phone thinking, "and they wonder why companies are leaving California on a daily basis, Friggin Tree Huggers".

My solution to this headache. I’m going to package all these stuff in a box and ship it to an associate contractor in another state with one of our corporate credit cards and have him return it to one of his local HD’s for credit.
    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 02-25-2010, 09:37 PM. Reason: Spacing issue

Re: Calif. Lead and Home Depot-Chuckle

And people wonder "WHY" I ever
    left the sunny
    state of CA. fusion
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Yes, this State's Politics suck! ................ BUT THE WEATHER IS AWESOME!!!!!
      Last edited by plumb4life; 02-26-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

all of my supply houses had the opportunity to send it back or transfer it to out of state/ nevada, arizona.

of course me the little guy has to eat it.

amazing how some of the diy centers still sell their inventory.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for another reason I left Cali. Don't get me wrong, I like to visit, a little.
          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
            And people wonder "WHY" I ever
            left the sunny
            state of CA. fusion

Yup me too! I was there from 1982 until 2003, worked San Francisco for a couple of years and then up north in Santa Rosa, Sonoma area. Lot's of service calls in Marin too.
            It's nice to visit every few years but I'll never live there again!

Comment

I'm curious how AB1953 will be enforced, and by whom. I'm still moving all my non compliant ball valve and stops, not to mention cast brass solder fittings. On jobs where the permit is dated prior to Jan 1, 2010, I figure it's OK to use old brass. Since I've got over 100 sinks and lavys pending, I'm going to burn up a lot of old inventory.
              One of the things that's really galling about this law is that it only applies up to 1-1/2" pipe(2" and over is exempt). I believe the reasoning for this was that with municipal systems thus falling substancially outside the scope of the restriction, there would be less resistance to the bill from that quarter.
              It's kind of like the state law requiring backflow protection on commercial connections to public water systems but not requiring protection on residential connections.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                Yup me too! I was there from 1982 until 2003, worked San Francisco for a couple of years and then up north in Santa Rosa, Sonoma area. Lot's of service calls in Marin too.
                It's nice to visit every few years but I'll never live there again!

But now You're freezin Your A$$ off ! I froze in boston. Marin co. has $$ work .and I'm warm
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  I'm curious how AB1953 will be enforced, and by whom. I'm still moving all my non compliant ball valve and stops, not to mention cast brass solder fittings. On jobs where the permit is dated prior to Jan 1, 2010, I figure it's OK to use old brass. Since I've got over 100 sinks and lavys pending, I'm going to burn up a lot of old inventory.
                  One of the things that's really galling about this law is that it only applies up to 1-1/2" pipe(2" and over is exempt). I believe the reasoning for this was that with municipal systems thus falling substancially outside the scope of the restriction, there would be less resistance to the bill from that quarter.
                  It's kind of like the state law requiring backflow protection on commercial connections to public water systems but not requiring protection on residential connections.
                  Good point! Kinda like Oakland writing Parking tickets in Poor areas only! The rich areas never see a Meter maid
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thank You California & Vermont...

The rest of the US is loving buying your brass treasures on E-Bay for pennies on the dollar!
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

im planning on going back to carmel valley in march sometime for my yearly working vacation,i think ill just leave the van and tools here and fly this time!

Comment

I think HD has it's place but some of their policies drive me up the wall. You buy a tool such as a belt / disc sander and they don't even carry the sand paper for the belt or disc. I asked if they where out of stock they checked and said they don't carry it. For my scroll saw they don't carry replacement blades. Just two of the several examples I have run into. It is really irritating when they will sell you a tool and you can't find parts they should have for it.

Both times I have had to go to Western Tool Supply. After that I switched to purchasing Powermatic tools anyways much better quality.

Comment

when i buy tools i always get extra blades, chuck keys and whatever. that way if i lose it or need it i have it. if they don't have supplies i go else where. breid........

Comment

Where are the tests showing the PPM contamination from the items that will be disallowed to be sold in CA?

Theoretical doesn't mean much to me. Any links to the real proof?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Where are the tests showing the PPM contamination from the items that will be disallowed to be sold in CA?

Theoretical doesn't mean much to me. Any links to the real proof?

Thanks.

J.C.
                              You'll need to drink some of this first to be able to understand the data...

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Working...
                              X