X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut and Ferrule Puller?

I never herd of a ferrule and nut puller before today in a post. After 15 years I still learn new stuff. I would always use the old nut and ferrul if it was ok. And sometimes cut the wall to extend it. Funny Story...

I remember when I was helper back in the day my boss sent me to the supply shop and told me to buy a pipe stretcher it made sense at the time I needed the pipe away from the wall to install a new angle stop. Well the counter guy just laughed his *** off and says someone got u good.

So when I seen that post for the ferrule and nut puller I said no way! It's my long lost pipe stretcher I just bought one from Amazon for $25 Thanks
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Nut and Ferrule Puller?

i use the red pasco brand puller... but most of the time i can spin the ferrule off with some mini channel locks.. i cant beileve one would cut a wall to extend a stub because they could not remove the ferrule at least try and cut that old ferrule off with the cheese cutter

Comment

A little WD-40 on that Pasco puller will keep it working smoothly!

Comment

"i cant beileve one would cut a wall to extend a stub because they could not remove the ferrule"

Well maybe I see different cases than yourself, but I've seen enough leaking stops because someone did not pay attention to damaged, elongated or compressed copper pipe. Yes, I have a special tool that splits the ferrule without even touching the pipe. Extending the stub would be a matter of last resort or if it is in the BEST interest of the Customer for the long run.

As far as using the Pasco. They're great, but there are some tricks to those that make the job easier, but I'm sure you know those also.
        Last edited by JeffH; 02-26-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

funny as the red pasco one is the new one i have and is the same one that stretched out the copper and damaged the stub.

my old puller that i still use has never damaged a stub in the hundreds i've used it on.

i guess all pullers are not made the same.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Old puller

Rick,

Which puller are you using? Always looking for a better way to do things.

Thanks

Comment

Pasco makes the red puller (4661) and a heavy duty puller (4665). However, I am guessing Rick is referring to the original puller which was built like a tank but is no longer available. In a pinch I have also used a PP lav stem and a handle puller to pull the ferrule.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

other than a picture of it, i have no idea what it is.

i've had it so many years that i actually had to re-peen the sliding handle.

it's never damaged the copper, but the pasco has the few times i tried it.

fortunately i reuse the nut and ferrule whenever possible. never had an issue and i don't expect 1.

there was a brand of washing machine angle stops years ago that had a tapered thread to allow for 1/2'' mip, compression or sweat. the nuts had a tendency to split if overtightened as the taper on the thread created the force to tighten against.

stopped using those after i discovered the issue.

fortunately brasscraft has maintained the same thread pitch and it's the most common out here.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I'm sure I have the same puller so I will have to look as well but I thought it was the Pasco. Another stop which used the 1/2" IPS threads was one that says "BOB" on the handle.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Hello everyone – first time posting here. My name is Justin and I am a plumbing contractor in southern California.

I too, didn’t discover the ferule puller until after plumbing for a few years. But what’s better is that I’ve used the tool wrong from day one. It never occurred to me that you would pull the ferule off with the nut – just seemed like that would take too much mechanical force. From day one I have pulled the ferules off directly. It takes far less mechanical force and doesn’t damage the pipe. If there is no room to push the nut back out of the way, I just tin snip off the chrome plate and then push the nut back. I have literally pulled thousands of ferules in this fashion. Occasionally I will get a ferule that has been really crimped down on a soft copper stub out that I can’t get this way. Also wanted to mention that I use the Pasco puller and if the opening that fits around the copper pipe isn’t tight enough to grab the ferule, I tap the opening of the tool closer together with a hand sledge so as to make a nice close fit around the copper pipe. Try it sometime

Comment

I was tired of puller tongs springing backwards. So being a welder ,I reinforced the two
                      90s. ROCK SOLID , now they'll pull the arse hole out of an elephant !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

mark

i'm bob. i wondered where my puller went. breid...............

Comment

http://www.superiortool.com/images/03943.1.gif is this what you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post

no. not this. what happens when the thread is not the same as the one built into the puller

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Good point ! Ok Rick is this it ? http://www.superiortool.com/images/03875.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X