Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: opening day

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
    Oh... just a suggestion, but don't go into debt to buy equipment.
    Yea but how long should you put off buying equipment I feel like I should buy this stuff now. All I own is a K-50 and some hand tools.[/QUOTE]

How much risk you are comfortable with is a personal decision. I know a fellow plumber here in town that has to, MUST, clear $8000 a month to pay his monthly bills. He owes on everything. That would drive me insane. Sometimes when I don't have work I get to stay home and play with my grandkids with not a worry in the world. My pal would be sweating it big time.

If you are going into business as primarily a drain cleaner to begin with then I suggest you should already have a main sewer snake and a smaller snake at a minimum. If you can't afford new, find something used, maybe on eBay or Craigslist. (I would stay away from the Kenway main sewer snake. There seem to be many available, and it's for a reason. I used to have one myself and I won't get another. )

At least in the beginning you will have an ebb and flow as far as work goes. So, you have to be able to live through the ebb times. Do you want bill collectors on your back? I recently bought a MyTana color self leveling video inspection system that was literally brand new. I got it for $5800 including tax because someone else lost it back to the leasing company. It had never been used and I got ~30% off. I paid cash. I've only used it a few times and if I don't use it for a year I'll be fine. But if I had to pay $300 a month to pay the principle and interest I might not be fine.
    Capiche?

In the end everyone is different. Every business is unique. You know your strengths and weaknesses better than most anyone else so are in a position to decide what's best for you.

In general I would suggest you keep your overhead to the minimum that you are able. I'm not saying scrimp on tools. Buy the best you can afford. But you can spend ridiculous amounts of money if you're not careful, and salesmen will be only too happy to help.

Good Luck.

geno
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I bought all my tools CA$H on the barrel head when I could, never regretted it once. Debt, especially unneeded, or avoidable debt is a killer. I learned, always make the customer pay for the materials up front on large jobs, so you don't have to chase more money than you need to if the $hit hits the fan. Just keep knocking on doors, handing out cards, and be the best at what you do. Keeping customers happy is the key they will tell there friends.

Comment

good luck in the new venture. finally, your future is in your hands. make the most of it

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
        X