X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bidding Commercial Jobs

Anyone out here in internet land know about the process for tendering/bidding a commercial project? I'd like to get more into commercial work as a self-employed contractor but I'm not sure how to get into it. I've called some of the local GC's, they said I can put my name on their mailing lists for tenders....OK, very good , but....how do I go about actually bidding the job? I have no idea about what's involved with this process. Obviously I'm not going to ask my former employer. Do I need to put money down with my bid? Is there a specific fill-in-the-blank type form? Etc etc etc.
    Keep in mind, I don't live in the US or mainland Canada so I'm not going to be "competition" for you gentlemen. Anyone care to point a kid in the right direction?

Re: Bidding Commercial Jobs

Originally posted by Asperger View Post
    Anyone out here in internet land know about the process for tendering/bidding a commercial project? I'd like to get more into commercial work as a self-employed contractor but I'm not sure how to get into it. I've called some of the local GC's, they said I can put my name on their mailing lists for tenders....OK, very good , but....how do I go about actually bidding the job? I have no idea about what's involved with this process. Obviously I'm not going to ask my former employer. Do I need to put money down with my bid? Is there a specific fill-in-the-blank type form? Etc etc etc.
    Keep in mind, I don't live in the US or mainland Canada so I'm not going to be "competition" for you gentlemen. Anyone care to point a kid in the right direction?
    Well THE LOWEST BIDDER LOSES. Then He doesn't get paid! NEXT !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

<how do I go about actually bidding the job? I have no idea about what's involved with this process.>

I'm thinking if you don't know this then you may not be qualified to responsibly bid a job.

You get prints and specs. Sometimes you pay for the prints & specs. Sometimes you give a deposit. If you're a regular vendor for a general contractor they will often provide prints and specs for you.

You create a material list. You estimate how much time you will require to do the job. You try and foresee any and all costs you will incur because of the job. You lay your butt on the line when you bid the job.

Ever hear of the "Dodge Reports"? You might try them. But your best bet is to develop a good working relationship with some general contractors. Remember though, when times are tough you will be the last guy to get paid. I've almost never been stiffed by a homeowner. I've had general contractors screw me out of nearly $100k in a variety of ways.

Good luck to you.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Big fish eat the little fish.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

And dont forget the bonding company for the bid bond just more $$$$ its a real pain I remember the first job I bid and got. Busted butt got completed ahead of schedule then waited and waited to be paid The GC got paid but sat on subs money a extra 30 days or so. Best be prepared to weather the storm so to speak on the materials and labor tied up in job.

Comment

if you are a freelance or independent contractor, then you most likely can get a lot of your jobs through bids. The way that this works is that an employer posts an ad for a specific contract position and waits for freelancers to place a bid on how much they will charge to complete the job.
            Alabama plumbers

Comment

This is a great question. Having worked within a large construction company for years, there wasn't day that I didn't learn something new. There were many people that collectively performed the work of preparing a bid. Included in the bunch were some real experts that had a ton of experience. It was these people who navigated the ship from ending up on the rocks.

It is that enigma. How to get a job with no experience? How to get experience with no job? There is a club out there and you are not in it.

I would say you either have to:

1. Work as employee to learn the ropes.
              2. Find a partner already versed in this area.
              3. Find a general who will take you under his wing and explain the process in detail. Perhaps he can show you bids other companies have provided on different jobs so you get an idea of the verbage and legal requirements.

I would suggest you start on some smaller commercials jobs in case you run into problems. This way you can learn without losing your pants.

Good luck to you and your future endeavors.

Comment

Its all about networking, do a small job for a guy that knows a guy that needs what you do. Next thing you know you have all there work.

Comment

Working...
                X