X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Processing

It seems the time has come when I have to start accepting credit cards as payment. Too many people are asking these days to ignore it any longer.

To date I've never had advertising other than what's on the truck since last summer. (Minneapolis was going to give me a ticket for no signage so I was forced to do so.) Neither do I have business cards. I don't have my customers sign contracts unless they want one. Maybe I'm not optimizing my business opportunities, but none of my customers have ever bounced a check on me either. (yet).

But I digress, I'm going to have to start taking credit cards. I called a couple processing places today and man... the techno talk, options, charges, monthly fees, batch charges, wireless fees, this and that plan left me dizzy and slightly nauseous.

I'm wondering if any of you guys out there have any advice you'd care to share regarding things to look out for regarding credit card processing. Or better yet a recommendation as to a good company to use. (Cut down on the amount of research to endure.)

Aye Carumba!
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Credit Card Processing

I am set up to do this thru quickbooks and it 1.64 per swipe The way I look at it's like getting a check you know right away if money is their and if so it available in two to three days. My banker told me being a new business try to take credit card and or debit card "check card" add the cost I will have money faster and their is nothing to bounce.

Comment

Just go into your bank and say you need a merchant account to take credit cards ask the monthly fee if any and how much per transaction. Then look up quickbooks credit cards on google go to that site and call them same questions and make your choice. If you don't plan on doing a lot of cards don't rent the terminal from them. I dont do a lot so I run them on my cell phone or on my computer from Quickbooks site when I get home.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thanks Cuda.

The Quickbooks rate is currently 1.61. At least that's what was quoted to me yesterday. It took about six hours for approval. I'm setup except for loading the app onto my cell phone. (I need to set it up to go online)

Still, I only checked with one other company (charge.com) and what a mess that conversation was. My sister (a CPA) suggested quickbooks so I went that route while I'm looking for the optimum deal. (To cut down on the headache of conversations with salespeople.) It costs nothing to quit the quickbooks plan.

One thing that irks me is it takes 2-3 days for funding. Well, you know they are sitting on the funds collected but not credited to your account. Collecting interest for themselves. These are funds we are paying for. (essentially). So I would like to see an account where it's funded more quickly. Just on principle.

I also don't like that they can go back in and withdraw funds if there's a complaint. (I'm not really comfortable with less than 100% of complete control in my own account.)

Comment

Geno, I'm up in Northern Minnesota and just opened a new account at Wells Fargo. My local little bank was giving me grief so I fired them.

I was shocked at how easy it was to set up a merchant account with them. All transactions are done over my cell phone with instant approval and funds are almost always there the same day or the next at the latest. They were very helpful and walked me through the very quick process, good luck.

Comment

Don't rush into this one like I did. I ended up with a wireless remote terminal and a merchant account where I pay over $65 a month in service fees and the cost of the cell phone line for the remote terminal. On top of that I pay each time I swipe a card and the rate for each transaction. On top of that they bill be over a hundred dollars once a year for an account renewal fee (even when I am under a contract) to remain with their service and on top of that I get billed a penalty for NOT using the machine enough. In true mafia style I have to pay penalties for not running enough transactions through their system each month. When I do this the bill is over $90 a month.

It takes 2-3 days to get the money into my account (almost never 2 days) - not counting the weekends or after hours calls (gets counted as being processed on the next business day. American Express seems to take at least 4 business days.

Each credit card company has its own way of billing you additional fees. The worst being American Express. I had to separately sign up with Discover and American Express to run these cards. Free to sign up, but they want you to sign up with certain types of accounts which ultimately means penalties if you don't use their card enough.

How did this happen? My neighbor, who I felt I could trust on account of the fact he they lived right next me, got me signed up. He made it sound like he was sparing me from the jackals and was himself the jackal. He ended up moving a couple months later.

Oh, if you lose/break the remote wireless terminal it costs over a $1,000 to replace.

In truth I do about 2-3 credit card transactions a week. Most people just pay by check.

In the last 5 years I have had 3 people bounce checks. The first was someone who just made an accounting mistake and handled it right away. The other 2 were shady general contractors who promptly wrote me new checks that bounced.

By all means accept credit cards. Just don't do what I did. Hope this helps.
            Last edited by Dakota; 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I use RBS link $10 bucks a month plus 4% per sale. Knowing in advance how they will be paying as I explain over the phone were are COD and how will you be paying your bill upon completion. If it's credit card 4% increase to cover the cost. No terminal needed to run credit card number over my cell phone. Accepting Credit cards is a "Must Have."
              I deal with a lot of out of state property owners.
              no credit card number "no work" Keeps me from being shafted. Plus credit cards help out when the bill is going to be more than they have in their own bank or just happy making monthly payments to make it easier.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                I don't have my customers sign contracts unless they want one.
                I also don't like that they can go back in and withdraw funds if there's a complaint. (I'm not really comfortable with less than 100% of complete control in my own account.)
                I see something you are going to have to change unless you want to experience frequent disputed bills with the credit card companies.

A detailed proposal of the entire scope of work to be performed and a customer signature to go ahead with the work is essential in dealing with billing disputes. It's even better with them signing up front pricing.
                411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I use RBS link $10 bucks a month plus 4% per sale
                  Wow, that's a bunch. I'll bet with a little finagling you can get them down to below 2%. Especially if you take in a good amount of money monthly.

I agree with Redwood. Get it in writing or you'll come out on the short end of the stick. And I think you know what stick I mean.
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I use Thompson Merchant. I have to pay about $19 per month. I don't do very many cards, but can do them with my cheap cell phone or any phone as it's an 800 number. Never had a problem with them. Money's there in a couple of days. It's well worth it to me to get the job and keep the customer happy, all while being sure I'm getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                      I see something you are going to have to change unless you want to experience frequent disputed bills with the credit card companies.

A detailed proposal of the entire scope of work to be performed and a customer signature to go ahead with the work is essential in dealing with billing disputes. It's even better with them signing up front pricing.
                      Redwood you're right of course. I just abhor the paperwork aspect.
                      I've never had a problem with my customers. I tell them what I'm going to do and what it's going to cost, or my hourly rate and we go from there. I don't screw them, and when I leave they're happy. (Probably glad to see me go. LOL)

Maybe I'll just write it out if they are going to pay by credit card. I like unclog's suggestion of charging the customer the fees! That's a great idea.
                      More customers are asking if they can charge because they want to add miles to their free flying card. I guess they'll learn those miles are not really free.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                        Don't rush into this one like I did. I ended up with a wireless remote terminal and a merchant account where I pay over $65 a month in service fees and the cost of the cell phone line for the remote terminal. On top of that I pay each time I swipe a card and the rate for each transaction. On top of that they bill be over a hundred dollars once a year for an account renewal fee (even when I am under a contract) to remain with their service and on top of that I get billed a penalty for NOT using the machine enough. In true mafia style I have to pay penalties for not running enough transactions through their system each month. When I do this the bill is over $90 a month.

It takes 2-3 days to get the money into my account (almost never 2 days) - not counting the weekends or after hours calls (gets counted as being processed on the next business day. American Express seems to take at least 4 business days.

Each credit card company has its own way of billing you additional fees. The worst being American Express. I had to separately sign up with Discover and American Express to run these cards. Free to sign up, but they want you to sign up with certain types of accounts which ultimately means penalties if you don't use their card enough.

How did this happen? My neighbor, who I felt I could trust on account of the fact he they lived right next me, got me signed up. He made it sound like he was sparing me from the jackals and was himself the jackal. He ended up moving a couple months later.

Oh, if you lose/break the remote wireless terminal it costs over a $1,000 to replace.

In truth I do about 2-3 credit card transactions a week. Most people just pay by check.

In the last 5 years I have had 3 people bounce checks. The first was someone who just made an accounting mistake and handled it right away. The other 2 were shady general contractors who promptly wrote me new checks that bounced.

By all means accept credit cards. Just don't do what I did. Hope this helps.
                        Can't you get out of that agreement? There must be a way. If it isn't win -win it's not good business.

Comment

Yes, the contract is up in a month. I am looking into doing all my credit card transactions via an app on my Iphone, but I am still checking this out.

Comment

Redwood you're right of course. I just abhor the paperwork aspect.
                            I've never had a problem with my customers. I tell them what I'm going to do and what it's going to cost, or my hourly rate and we go from there. I don't screw them, and when I leave they're happy. (Probably glad to see me go. LOL)

Maybe I'll just write it out if they are going to pay by credit card. I like unclog's suggestion of charging the customer the fees! That's a great idea.
                            More customers are asking if they can charge because they want to add miles to their free flying card. I guess they'll learn those miles are not really free.
                            You may not want to tell the customer that you are charging them the credit card fees as that is against the rules of almost all credit card companys and they will cancel your account if they find out. Make sure you call you card company and see what their policy is before you do anything.
                            ________
                            COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                              You may not want to tell the customer that you are charging them the credit card fees as that is against the rules of almost all credit card companys and they will cancel your account if they find out. Make sure you call you card company and see what their policy is before you do anything.

See? More rules and gobbledygook. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I just ordered the Intuit USB card swiper. I'm going to stick with the Intuit card processing and go back to work and not worry about this crap. There are pipes out there awaiting me and my sawzall.

Comment

Working...
                              X