X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License Exam for the IPC

I have been in the plumbing trade for 10 years but never gotten a license. With the economy slow as it is, the plumbing companies will not hire me without my license. I have gotten all of the code books to study from but there's one area that I am in need of help. Part of the exam is practical knowledge or common knowledge. I am a commercial plumber with ZERO experience as a service plumber. From the sample tests I have seen there are quite a few questions on things like what is the most common tool a plumber uses? or what is the best tool for removing a blockage in a toilet? and how can you tell when a pipe is properly threaded?
    Is there somewhere, other than experience, where I can find this info with regards to common plumbing service?
    Thanks

Re: License Exam for the IPC

Welcome to the forum, If it is like what you say I wouldnt worry to much about the common sense part of the test. You should know enough after ten years in the trade as a commercial plumber to make good educated answers. Just remember that the exam is based on commercial code and not service work.
    ________
    Ford synus
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:43 PM.
    Mike

Comment

How can you have been plumbing for 10 years without a license? or an apprentice card?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        How can you have been plumbing for 10 years without a license? or an apprentice card?
        I used to work at the same shop with a guy from TN. He said the majority of the state, with the metro areas as the exception, was the wild wild west with no inspections when he was there.

80's I think. Probably just getting the licensing down and more under control.

J.C.

Comment

Well, it's very easy to work in the trade without a license. There are ALOT of states that do not enforce the license requirement. Yes, they have licensing requirements but few enforce it. Granted, there are some that check, most up north I understand NH, but it has been my experience that MOST do not. And, the company I work for has sent me all over the country. I want to be legal to do the work so I'm getting my license.
          As for the experience, I would no more presume to be able to go out and do what a residentail service plumber does than to think he could do what I do.

Comment

Working...
          X