Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking water pressure...

the right way.
    I just got back from a mainline rodder job. While I was there the Customer asked me about expansion tanks. It seems that a local plumber is having a field day installing expansion tanks in this particular neighborhood. I checked my Customers pressure and it read 55psi and the water had not been used all day. I told him that pressure can change throughout the day, but typically it's consistent throughout a local neighborhood. He's never had any problems H2O pressure related.

This started me thinking about checking water pressure. I use a pressure gage at the hose bib and that's pretty much it, because that's all I know. Is there a more reliable or definitive way of checking pressure?

Re: Checking water pressure...

Check to see that no water is running anywhere; a look at the water meter dial will determine this. Then check at hose bib with a reliable gauge. they do go bad and give false readings. Late evening tests will be higher that daytime tests.

Comment

Is this guy installing expansion tanks due to the pressure or due to closed water systems?(back flow applications)

Comment

There are a number of reasons to install an expansion tank, and it's not all about static pressure. Is there a check valve on the city water? As a water heater heats, it expands and if there's a check valve there's no place for the water to go, leading to an increase in pressure.

Comment

Working...
        X