Sump pump question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pump question

I need to replace an electric water heater in a basement that has no floor drains in it. Right now the relief valve drain is PVC, and goes up about six feet before it goes who knows where. Obviously, I can't leave it like that.

What I would like to do is install some type of pump, and then run the relief line to that. This pump would only serve the water heater.

I know very little about the different types of sump pumps. We have very, very few houses with basements here, and only a small percentage of those have fixtures in them.

Can someone point me in the right direction for a unit to accomplish what I need to do?

Re: Sump pump question

zoller m-53 through m-57 basically the same 1.5'' automatic pump but the less expensive one has a plastic base instead of a cast iron one.

i have a shelf full of them. can it wait till party time in vegas

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      zoller m-53 through m-57 basically the same 1.5'' automatic pump but the less expensive one has a plastic base instead of a cast iron one.

i have a shelf full of them. can it wait till party time in vegas

rick.
      Doesn't he need some kind of sump basin too, to put the pump in?

Comment

I would open the floor, add a sump crock, then pipe a floor drain near the water heater. Then discharge it outside.

Comment

yes he does. since this pump is basically an emergency pump and most likely will never see water except once every 10 years, there's no reason to go overboard on the pit.

a typical 12''x 12'' sump basin with grate top will work just fine for this purpose. the black plastic nds basin with grate is a simple way to go. pump fits good and ha enough space for the built in float to operate. i usually just notch the top of the grate to extend the 1.5'' discharge pipe. i sawcut a 12'' x 12'' hole and nicely grout it in as the box is slightly tapered. a few concrete screws into the side lip will hold it in perfectly.

remember this is not an outdoor rain water pump so the pit doesn't need to be over sized and the pump doesn't need to be a 2'' ejector.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Sump crocks come in all sizes...I would install the floor drain, and have the pit covered. Over time dust and debris will accumulate and can cause a problem with the pump. Anyway, whats to say some handyman guy comes along and discharges the T&P into the pit, now you cannot see if it leaks.

I would worry more about tank failure on a water heater vs. the T&P discharging. Take that into consideration as well when deciding on a pump and a pit.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              Sump crocks come in all sizes...I would install the floor drain, and have the pit covered. Over time dust and debris will accumulate and can cause a problem with the pump. Anyway, whats to say some handyman guy comes along and discharges the T&P into the pit, now you cannot see if it leaks.

I would worry more about tank failure on a water heater vs. the T&P discharging. Take that into consideration as well when deciding on a pump and a pit.
              Yea, maybe install a heater pan, with one of those new super duper Bradford White water heaters, with the automatic gas & water shut off. If relief valve, or any water gets in pan, it shuts everything off. From what I was told. Probobly would be less expensive than dealing with a pump, drain,& electrical outlet ect...

Comment

Thanks for the help. I am going to flip through my code books again, and if I can't find anything that says I can't do it, I will give a price to install the water heater with a Floodstop water heater shut off valve. That way, if the tank does leak or the relief does open up, it will turn the water to the heater off.

After that, I expect the homeowner to have Home Depot install a water heater the wrong way, and I never have to worry about it again.

Comment

Working...
                X