Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

    Installed a 40 Gal. B white N. Gas W.h. about 5 months ago. Last week added an expansion tank. Pulled the NEW D.Elec. and rust at lower end. Brass nipples from now on. Think any Insps. will Hassle Me on the change?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

  • #2
    Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

    tool, don't you use brass nipples and water flex connectors?

    i haven't used dielectrics in over 20 years.

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

      Every time I change out a heater with die electric unions the nipples are just about rusted shut. I do either copper or c.p.v.c. brass to plastic adaptors on electric and power vent heaters.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        tool, don't you use brass nipples and water flex connectors?

        i haven't used dielectrics in over 20 years.

        rick.
        that rick is one of the best things of being out west here. back east it wad dielects and they always rusted.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

          Originally posted by ranman View Post
          that rick is one of the best things of being out west here. back east it wad dielects and they always rusted.
          Best thing ? For Me it's not frezzing My AZZ OFF ?
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Best thing ? For Me it's not frezzing My AZZ OFF ?
            well its cold today! i`m a shut in it is only 60

            but yea love the sunny weather

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

              Doesn't seem to matter that much what you connect it with these days. Water heaters probably going to die first.

              J.C.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                tool, don't you use brass nipples and water flex connectors?

                i haven't used dielectrics in over 20 years.

                rick.
                You guys have it so easy out there. Using flexible connectors to connect a water heater violates Minnesota Plumbing code.

                This week a Minneapolis Plumbing inspector informed a customer/homeowner that they have to get rid of the flexible water connections on their water heater.

                They also had to get rid of the flexible SS gas connector with which they had hooked up the gas. (they're selling the place and a truth in housing inspection caught the bad gas connection. That's the only reason I was there. I also found four gas piping leaks while I was there.) So these poor homeowners thought they had to get one connection repaired, and they ended up paying triple to get the gas leaks fixed. Now they have to fix their water piping too. (Which they have not asked me to do.) They are already losing $50k on the house so they aren't happy at all and I don't blame them.
                Time flies like an arrow.

                Fruit flies like a banana.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                  Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  You guys have it so easy out there. Using flexible connectors to connect a water heater violates Minnesota Plumbing code.

                  This week a Minneapolis Plumbing inspector informed a customer/homeowner that they have to get rid of the flexible water connections on their water heater.

                  They also had to get rid of the flexible SS gas connector with which they had hooked up the gas. (they're selling the place and a truth in housing inspection caught the bad gas connection. That's the only reason I was there. I also found four gas piping leaks while I was there.) So these poor homeowners thought they had to get one connection repaired, and they ended up paying triple to get the gas leaks fixed. Now they have to fix their water piping too. (Which they have not asked me to do.) They are already losing $50k on the house so they aren't happy at all and I don't blame them.
                  Can't use flex. gas connectors here in Mich either. Not sure about flex. water connectors, because I never used one on a water heater, always thought it looked like a DIY did it. And also must use dielectric unions.
                  Last edited by Don the plumber; 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                    earthquake code out here requires certain products that you guys don't.

                    we have to strap water heaters upper and lower 1/3 of the heater. also have to have automatic seismic gas shut off valves at out gas main.

                    but then again we don't have to worry about snow melting

                    rick.
                    phoebe it is

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                      THE flexes here are e quake code issues. Not a convenience factor.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                        C'mon, you know the earth quakes are an excuse for using flex lines.
                        I wish we had earthquakes here, so we could use flex everything too.
                        But seriously, you guys are right, & I know Rick said it too, dielectrics always corrode. I wouldn't use them if they weren't code, but unfortunately they are here. Do they make brass dielectric unions? Never seen 1.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                          Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          earthquake code out here requires certain products that you guys don't.

                          we have to strap water heaters upper and lower 1/3 of the heater. also have to have automatic seismic gas shut off valves at out gas main.

                          but then again we don't have to worry about snow melting

                          rick.
                          You know... maybe we should strap our water heaters too. Once I had a water heater move about a 1/164th of an inch from all that snow melting.

                          What might be worse than earthquakes are the potholes in the roads here. Oh man. My van must look like a drunk is driving when I'm weaving down the road trying vainly to avoid the canyons of death.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

                          Fruit flies like a banana.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                            Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                            You know... maybe we should strap our water heaters too. Once I had a water heater move about a 1/164th of an inch from all that snow melting.

                            What might be worse than earthquakes are the potholes in the roads here. Oh man. My van must look like a drunk is driving when I'm weaving down the road trying vainly to avoid the canyons of death.
                            Pot Holes , good place for your dielectics
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: W. H. dielectric JUNK JOKE

                              I have seen many guys complain about dielectric unions being junk due to the steal part rusting up on the inside. While placing my order with Hodes I noticed they carry a brass bodied dielectric union by Watts. Watts even makes a Lead Free unit for those of you in a lead free state. http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=6856



                              I ordered up a set, and will give you all my review of it when I get them.
                              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X