X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF-2000R Freezer

I have an SF-2000R I purchased used from a plumber in a town a few hundred miles from me.

It seemed to work when I got it.... or so I thought. It got cold rather quickly anyway.

Months later, I finally had the perfect oppurtunity to let this machine save me a bunch of time..... or not

The machine would get cold, but not nearly cold enough to freeze anything.

My guess is that it's lost it's refrigerant charge, but I don't want to tear into it and really mess it up; So i'm gonna send it to Ridgid's repair folks when I get a few bucks in the tool budget again.

Anyone had one of these repaired before? I've heard these are good reliable machines (i've been generally happy with every Ridgid product i've owned), but if it's gonna be a money pit, i'm not gonna go down that road.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

--------------------------------------------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Re: SF-2000R Freezer

I have not had any trouble with mine, I would try it at your house just to be sure there was no water running when you last tried it. I do know they are to be treated very gently when moving or storage is needed. Good Luck
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I've tried it several times since it didn't work on the job.

The heads get cool to the touch, but not cold.

I called the service folks, and got someone that was not very helpful at all.

She gave me a return number, but would not give me any pricing, or let me talk to anyone about it at all.

While I am reluctant to price something I haven't seen on the phone to a customer myself, this was just silly.

I asked what it would cost for a refrigerant recharge (since I think that's what the problem is), and specifically stated that I understood that I could not expect an accurate price until they had it in front of them to look at.

I'm unwilling to send it to them without have SOME kind of clue what to expect to pay. By the time I package the thing up and ship it to Ohio from Alaska, and pay for return shipping alone, it's gonna be expensive before they even do any work on it.

If this week has a slow point, i'll try calling again and hopefully get somewhere with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Why would you need a SuperFreeze in Alaska, just open the darn door!! Sorry couldn't resist that one.

There is no service facility closer than Ohio? Or are all the SuperFreeze units sent there for repair.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

That's where they told me to send it...

It's funny you mention opening the door..... A handyman I know once suggested I do that when I couldn't access the water main to a place.

----------------

Comment

could you just not get the specs on the unit and and have a HVAC company take a look at it, check the pressure and recharge if needed.

Comment

I talked to one HVAC guy about it, he was unwilling to look at it.

The other one I talked to, was willing, but he was sounding alot like a hack with tinkeritis by the end of the conversation. I could not bring myself to trust him with my expensive machine.

I'm gonna send it out... I think i'm just gonna wait until i've got some more cash, in case it costs alot.

------------------------------------------

Last edited by radar_40; 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
                tinkeritis

I like that, will use it in the future.

good luck with your freezer.

Comment

One last shot in the dark ...did you spray the pipe with a spray bottle of water at the beginning of the freeze process? Because if it needs freon then there also has to be a repair made because it has a leak that let it out so the costs will be higher then just a recharge.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

if it gets cold at all you have some refrigerant left. are service ports capped or valved? hoses are a weak link. this is a semi-hermetic system if i don't miss my guess. i can see why your boys were hesitant to deal with it. is there any oil on it? usually when you have a refer leak you have an oily spot. there is refer oil in the system, so it comes to. if it was mine i would send it (i live in indiana) to ridgid and ask for an inspection + price to make it whole. 55 = lbs from al could be pricey. be aware that if compressor is shot that you want to be sitting down when they price it. and that's if there is even one available. you might be able to get a compressor price out of them. my totally unqualified opinion is that the hoses are rotten. breid..................

Comment

i forgot. if he needs a recharge, he has a leak. breid.................

Comment

sounds like the same situation that i have on a unit i bought from ebay 2 years ago

glad my other 2 were brand new when i bought them

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Supposedly this unit was only used 4 or 5 times, and sat in a garage for several years.

It was in the original box... not a scratch, ding or scuff on it.

The guy said I was the only one who called him who even knew what the thing was.

Paid the guy all 500 of my dollars for it. Now I just need to make it work.

I got by for years without one, but sometimes it'd be a great thing to have.

I actually thought about renting it out, but I decided against it as I only wanna have to send the thing to Ohio once.... with some luck anyway

--------------------------------

Comment

typically if you see oil, then it leaked. if he shipped it to you, you probably should have left it in the proper position for a full day before start up to allow the oil to settle down to the bottom of the compressor.

hard to say as mine is well worn and oily.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

no oil or dirt anywhere on it... Every part of the kit has the appearance of being brand new.

it sat for a few months before I tried to use it, then it was on the truck for about 24 hours (seat belted in), sat inside on-site for about 40 mins before hooking it up and attempting to use

I would estimate that the heads get down to about 40deg F, but that's it. I returned it to storage, for a week and tried it again, just to be sure.

Still no worky.

I'm really glad I didn't sell it (which I had considered for a short time). I wouldn't want to have sold someone something that didn't work.

Maybe after St.Baldricks is over i'll start collecting for the poor broke plumber's fund.

------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X