Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: These things are coming....

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
    I agree, the price is high. What's a consumer pay for a good 50gal electric at HD or Lowes? About $500?

The Oak Ridge project targeted an upcharge of $400 for the heat pump water heater, above the standard electric. In their report they said they achieved it, but they really didn't, it's more like $1000.

But with an energy factor of 2 on the GE, Rheem/Ruud and maybe a bit more on Stiebel-Eltron, that's not THAT bad savings every year, is it? What's annual water heating cost per year? $2-300 per year? Depends on local rates. But yeah, saving half of that isn't all that fantastic.

Maybe price will come down if volume takes off. I don't see why it couldn't. You can get a refrigerator for $500. The heat pump components are bigger in the water heater but similar in many ways.

And as Redwood says, there's rebates available.
    Lets dump the fridge coil into the water heater.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      You are absolutely NOT wrong!!

-Andy
      NOOOOOOOOO not absolutely wrong. and I of all people will admit being wrong. So far not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        Air generate was the first to market a heat pump water heater, they tried to sign me up as a reseller about 5 years ago. Then Rheem, GE and a few others jumped on the bandwagon.

When I first saw the design I was unimpressed and I am still unimpressed.
        Would you be willing to elaborate on what it was about the Airtap that didn't impress you? It would help me out to get your thoughts in terms of making sure that I'm not missing anything.

-Andy

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          NOOOOOOOOO not absolutely wrong. and I of all people will admit being wrong. So far not yet.

Huh? I'm saying you're absolutely NOT wrong.

In other words, you're absolutely right. Correct. Spot-on.Dead-nuts.

Are we miscommunicating here somehow??

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Lets dump the fridge coil into the water heater.

J.C.
            JC. It's an elegant solution, I wish I could nominate your suggestion. (I'm sure you would have to go double walled heat exchanger, and perhaps find a non-toxic refrigerant, but the idea is serendipitous.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
            X