X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater rumbling

I've seen it, & heard it many times, & had lots of different ideas, on what causes it, but want to know what you all think causes a water heater to, what I call "rumble" when the burner is on. The job I was on friday, when I noticed it, the heater would rumble more when the hot water was turned on, with burner on. Sounds like it is boiling inside tank, & would snap & crackle, & actually vibrate.Water temp. was normal. I also notice that it usually always a State water heater. This was a standard 40 gal State NG tank heater, about 10yrs old. Customer said it has done it for a long time, but wouldn't swear to it, that it was from day 1.

Re: Water heater rumbling

Aluminum Hydroxide from the anode & PH of the water.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Aluminum Hydroxide from the anode & PH of the water.

J.C.
      Fixable? Think a new water heater would do the same thing in time? City water too, not well water.

Comment

I usually see that on State water heaters to. Most of the time the anode rod is deteriorated, and setting on the bottom of the tank. Usually the call I get is low water pressure due to the clogging of faucets, cartridges etc.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
          I've seen it, & heard it many times, & had lots of different ideas, on what causes it, but want to know what you all think causes a water heater to, what I call "rumble" when the burner is on. The job I was on friday, when I noticed it, the heater would rumble more when the hot water was turned on, with burner on. Sounds like it is boiling inside tank, & would snap & crackle, & actually vibrate.Water temp. was normal. I also notice that it usually always a State water heater. This was a standard 40 gal State NG tank heater, about 10yrs old. Customer said it has done it for a long time, but wouldn't swear to it, that it was from day 1.
          you are hearing the water boiling.

the reason why it's more noticeable when you turn on the faucet is that water boils at 212 at sea level. as the pressure in the tank goes up, the temperature to boil water goes up. just like in your car radiator. the cooling system is pressurized to approx 15# raising the boiling point.

in the heater, the sediment at the bottom creates an insulation layer that gets very hot. hot enough to boil. as the faucet is opened, the pressure drops and the temperature to boil has suddenly come down.

realistically this should only occur on older, dirty heaters.

p.s. don't know where to even buy state heaters out here

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
            Fixable? Think a new water heater would do the same thing in time? City water too, not well water.
            Flush. Magnesium anode rod.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
            X