$65 rodding does not cut it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $65 rodding does not cut it!

I noticed a popular rooter (local) company in our area lost/deferred on the front page of our local phone book. Last week I drove by the office and noticed the company van with a trailer full of furniture??? Did not think much about it at the time. Then today I saw the sign on the building was gone.

I now see they advertise in the local ad paper...which is pay-as-you-go.

Whenever I saw these guys around, it was two to a truck, cant do that for $65 a rod (even with a $45 show up charge).

Re: $65 rodding does not cut it!

Are you sure they weren't making so much money that they just moved to a bigger place??

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
      Are you sure they weren't making so much money that they just moved to a bigger place??
      I dont wish ill will on anyone...That would be a riot though

The new post title would be "Now we do it for $35!"

Comment

No way at $65.00 I'm having a hard time at $200 and thats just myself no employee's.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

A restaurant I been doing work for the last 8 months now, just called me and asked me if we where a union shop. I told him nope, then he asked me how I can charge $160 an hour if we are not union? I explained to him that we can not base our rates on what other shops charge at all, our rates are what we need to charge to cover overhead. Then he goes on to tell me he has new construction plumbers only charging $95 an hour. I asked him how come he does not hire them to do his service work. Of course he said they do not do service work. I guess he needs to realize there is a difference between new construction plumbers and service plumbers.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            A restaurant I been doing work for the last 8 months now, just called me and asked me if we where a union shop. I told him nope, then he asked me how I can charge $160 an hour if we are not union? I explained to him that we can not base our rates on what other shops charge at all, our rates are what we need to charge to cover overhead. Then he goes on to tell me he has new construction plumbers only charging $95 an hour. I asked him how come he does not hire them to do his service work. Of course he said they do not do service work. I guess he needs to realize there is a difference between new construction plumbers and service plumbers.
            I'm sure those construction plumbers are going to run right out spend thousands on equipment, Insurance and still charge $95
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Rod is right, The next time he mentions his new construction plumbers ask him if they have a 10,000 dollar camera system that has to be maintained. How about a 7,000 dollar plus cart jetter more if trailer jetter. Not to mention several different types sewer machines and cables with another price tag of close if not over 10,000 dollars. Next thing I would mention is do they have a 25,000 dollar truck filled with repair parts or will they have to make several trips to the supply house. Then ask him if they would be willing to work in human waste under a house or work in a 130 degree plus attic. In my experience Most new construction plumbers would not do it. I have seen them choose an unemployment check rather than transfer to our service dept. Don't get me wrong I am not putting down new construction plumbers I did it myself for many years I am just making the point of why we charge more to do service. Some people just can't handle working around sewage, it does take a certain type of person with a strong stomach to be able to do it, but if I am going to do it I am going to charge what it is worth to me not a customer.
              Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

When I meet with price objections, I ask if I can come over at 8:00 on Monday morning, then leave at 5:00 on Friday night. "Why would you do that?" Oh, so I can compete with "new construction" guys who show up, work for forty hours, don't have to drive around half the day from job to job, and only do paperwork a few hours at the end of the month!

No, what I really say is: "I've been doing this since junior high school. I'm really good at what I do, I'm very efficient with my time, AND yours. I won't send over some kid who will spend half his time trying to figure out what to do, the other half doing and re-doing his work, all on YOUR clock! I'm ready to start right now, and I guarantee your problem will be solved."

(Lots of plumbing/drain cleaning outfits are closing up right now. They sunk a ton of money into equipment, overhead, all that stuff, thinking that the economy would always allow for their sloppy way of doing business. Now, they think that giving away their service will work. It will - they'll go out of business just that much faster!)

Comment

Hey, N.I.P....
                  Is that a 9 mil nestled underneath those twin 45's?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                    Hey, N.I.P....
                    That picture makes me smile.......and drool (just a little)!
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                      Hey, N.I.P....
                      Hmmmmm....good question. I never noticed the pistol when I was helping her put the garter on.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                        I'm sure those construction plumbers are going to run right out spend thousands on equipment, Insurance and still charge $95
                        Either that Or...
                        The Good Lord might just bless one with a group of friends from a certain discussion Forum that would guide him to the bargains,lend him the extremely expensive and rarely used deal closing camera,monitor and locator.Last but not least the Jetter sold to him brand new for half price.

Sorry UC,I had to take the shot
                        Sometimes it is hard to receive such kindness and keep quite like a posing pig letting others think he earned it.

Thank you Mark,Rick and so many important others...(I can Itemize more names for those who wish).
                        You've help keep the roof over my head.

$95.00 is about all I can roll with out here.My sales/BS skills are non existant.Local plumbers are around $100.00.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          Either that Or...
                          The Good Lord might just bless one with a group of friends from a certain discussion Forum that would guide him to the bargains,lend him the extremely expensive and rarely used deal closing camera,monitor and locator.Last but not least the Jetter sold to him brand new for half price.

Sorry UC,I had to take the shot
                          Sometimes it is hard to receive such kindness and keep quite like a posing pig letting others think he earned it.

Thank you Mark,Rick and so many important others...(I can Itemize more names for those who wish).
                          You've help keep the roof over my head.

$95.00 is about all I can roll with out here.My sales/BS skills are non existant.Local plumbers are around $100.00.
                          $95 may be all the market will bear in some places and there is nothing wrong with that. We just need to be aware of our costs and price our services at a level that will be profitable.
                          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
                          X