X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PEX Crimpers

I must be lucky. I'll bet 90% of the water pipe I put in is copper.
    When customers ask what they should have put in I provide them with the following info and then let them make up their own minds.

A 100' length of pipe with a hundred degree temperature rise, copper will grow about an inch, the PEX will grow 11.1 inches. Thus we have to allow the PEX to "move around". It may not look as nice when it's warm.

The PEX needs to be supported more frequently and can't be allowed to rub against anything that might scratch it.

Copper acts as a bacteriostat which means bacteria can not reproduce in copper. At least as long as the copper isn't coated with minerals. PEX does not have this characteristic.

PEX is a quieter pipe than copper.

PEX is more likely to survive a freeze thaw cycle than copper. Although I've seen K copper freeze and expand, I've never seen it actually split. The problem is nobody uses K copper other than for water services. (Actually I use it when I'm required to put copper in a spot where I think it might freeze.)

PEX fittings inner diameters are relatively small when compared to copper.

Lastly, I point out the growing problem of compounds leeching out of plastics and being ingested. While I have not yet found a peer reviewed article indicating PEX may have the same issues as other types of plastic, this does not mean that in the future this won't be discovered. We are what we eat/drink/inhale.

I let the customer make as informed a decision as possible and give them a quote either way. Most of my customers choose copper.

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

The pex fittings inside diameter being smaller is made up for by the friction loss of the pex itself being less then copper pipe friction loss. So it is supposed to equal out is how I read it from the Viega web site. And of all the crimp fittings I like Viega stainless the best. Plus bronze fittings for the no dezinc issue.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I also use the Viega stainless sleeves and bronze fitting, it's called the Pureflow System. The crimpers are not the ones shown in this thread but you can always find them on ebay for around 125 bucks per size up to 1",, great product.
        Look for the colored crimpers, yellow for 1/2", blue for 3/4". I wouldn't use anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
          The pex fittings inside diameter being smaller is made up for by the friction loss of the pex itself being less then copper pipe friction loss. So it is supposed to equal out is how I read it from the Viega web site. And of all the crimp fittings I like Viega stainless the best. Plus bronze fittings for the no dezinc issue.

Cuda, the bronze in Viega is nice. The size of the fitting diameter isn't to my liking. I saw a chart somewhere, sometime or another, that displayed the difference in flow rates between the crimped (downsized) fittings and copper. The non downsized had greater flow. Though I can't provide that chart or even details on it at the moment.

The thing is with charts, I think they're like statistics, it's all how a question is framed.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Keep in mind since pex is cheaper there is no reason you can't upsize the runs from 1/2" to 3/4" thats how I did my house.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
            X