Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX Crimpers

I decided to buy a couple of new PEX crimpers

-When is the last time you calibrated your crimpers or used a gauge and checked a crimp??? Maybe it's time huh?

Re: PEX Crimpers

I don't know much about pex.
    What brand pex do you run Bill?

Comment

ViegaPex is what I keep stocked

Comment

Another Viega fan.
        Looks like I may be buying the crimpers for the propress after all.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Another Viega fan.
          Looks like I may be buying the crimpers for the propress after all.
          I would think that Propress crimping Pex as opposed to hand crimping would really slow you down...

Is a Propress Pex crimp stronger?

I have never used a Propress but hand crimping goes really fast (8-10 seconds per joint)

Comment

It won't slow you down at all.

J.C.

Comment

I don't know Bill.
              I just Figured...
              I could easily be mistaken

Ben's got the manuals.We were talking about the propress jaws for Viega.He didn't appear to oppose.
              I'll need to keep researching/discussing.

Thanks

Comment

And connection should have similar strength within the required tolerances.

Not necessarily stronger or weaker.

J.C.

Comment

I was reading the specs on the Propress and it was talking about cycle times....

I'm pretty sure the cycle times were in the 20-30 second range. If that is the case with the PEX jaws you are gonna burn up alot of time as opposed to a manual crimper.

Comment

Now I'm curious

Where is Rick, he will know...

Comment

I use a Rothenberger press with PEX heads from time to time. It has a longer cycle time than the ProPress and has never slowed me down. Takes about 6-8 seconds for a "cycle" if I recall.

But I may not be as fast as you with the crimpers either.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks JC

Now I want a propress if that is the case... (You and Adam have all the cool stuff)

By the end of the day my forearms need the break from the manual crimpers so a propress may be just the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          Thanks JC

Now I want a propress if that is the case... (You and Adam have all the cool stuff)

By the end of the day my forearms need the break from the manual crimpers so a propress may be just the ticket.
                          Only reason I have one is I found a real good deal on one. Most don't need
                          one even at some Ebay prices. Just my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

I don't like using PEX. I don't like using PEX that's crimped even more. I think the fittings inner diameters are ridiculously small. At least the Uponor fittings where the PEX is expanded have slightly larger inner diameters than the crimped variety. I believe Rehau also uses an expander as well as an outer crimp ring.

I'll take copper anytime. Except in a situation where I'm afraid the pipe will be subject to freezing. Then I'll take PEX.
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              I don't like using PEX. I don't like using PEX that's crimped even more. I think the fittings inner diameters are ridiculously small. At least the Uponor fittings where the PEX is expanded have slightly larger inner diameters than the crimped variety. I believe Rehau also uses an expander as well as an outer crimp ring.

I'll take copper anytime. Except in a situation where I'm afraid the pipe will be subject to freezing. Then I'll take PEX.
                              My heart is with you.
                              Unfortunately our society is demanding the cheaper product.
                              I did a repipe a few weeks ago for a buddy framing/general contractor,very well informed.Back yard is the Harbor with a 27' Sea Craft waiting to pound out to the Islands.
                              Smart neighbors kept walking up his driveway telling him it was better to go with pex.Nice people,we were polite.

He knows copper is better that's why he had me put it in.
                              We're not going to change their mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X