Used Propress 330B

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Propress 330B

Tomorrow after I do a little plumbing in the AM. I'm going to go look at a used 330B Propress. Is there anything I should look out for? Or telltale signs that it's been used up and is about toast? From the pics it looks fairly clean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDGID-RP-330-B-...item45f175ff52

Sometimes a person is just better off buying new. I know these things have to go through a "recalibration" or "adjustment" after umptysquat cycles. I'm sure that isn't cheap. So any advice? I'm all eyes.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Used Propress 330B

If you can down load the manual for it and learn what the led codes are. I am not sure if it will tell you how many cycles it has left before calibration is needed, but it does blink a code informing you it is needed.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

From the pictures it looks brand new. You should see what my press tool looks like and I've only had it since last August.

Mine was a demo, got it for about half price from a company rep. The batteries were bad right from the start. Only got about 10 3/4" press joints on one battery. You should be able to get over 50 for sure. The company sent me two new batteries and no problem ever since.
      I would pick up a few press fittings to try it out on site before buying, looks like a good deal, good luck with it. Once you use one you will never go back to soldering.

Comment

from the looks of the front-end assembly, it's got next to no presses on it.

so either it's hot

or the guy need t pawn it for some quick cash.

problem is, it's not a buy it now auction.

anyone bidding on it with 2 days left on the auction is just wasting their time and money.

these things sell with 2 seconds left on the clock

i'm more of a buy it now man than a sit and wait buyer

isn't that right bill

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

so either it's hot

anyone bidding on it with 2 days left on the auction is just wasting their time and money.

isn't that right bill

rick.
          Yea yea I know

By the way...have you even used that damn thing in the past 2 years? ...no?

I WOULD have!!!

Comment

Rick how can you determine these things just by looking at the picture, thanks.

"from the looks of the front-end assembly, it's got next to no presses on it.

so either it's hot

or the guy need t pawn it for some quick cash."

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

so either it's hot

isn't that right bill

rick.
              I'm positive it's not stolen. The pawn shop in question claims to have a rigid policy of calling police if they have a whiff that something might be stolen.

You're right about the eBay bidding. It's probably a waste of time, if the price gets much higher it will make more sense to either buy new, or wait for another opportunity. I don't require a ProPress too often, and can rent one easily when I need one so I can wait if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Yea yea I know

By the way...have you even used that damn thing in the past 2 years? ...no?

I WOULD have!!!
                not only me, but adam too

i like it on the large xl/xlc 2.5-4'' fittings.

want me to bring it to vegas so you can pet it

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                Rick how can you determine these things just by looking at the picture, thanks.

"from the looks of the front-end assembly, it's got next to no presses on it.

so either it's hot

or the guy need t pawn it for some quick cash."
                when you start inserting jaws and making presses, there will be a wear mark generated on the front ram assembly and nose piece.

not to mention how clean it is as an entire package

set your max reserve and place that bid as late as you can or use a bidding program. that condition should go for 10% less than your best new cost. along with the savings on tax no shipping as you're picking it up

next time if there's a buy it now and the price is good, go for it or, you'll be just like bill

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you all!

I went and perused the ProPress 330B. It appears to have relatively little wear compared with others I've used. The seller admitted he washed it with Windex.

The thing is when I ran it through a cycle it smelled of what I call ozone. I've noticed this smell on my own cordless drills when they're nearing the end... Although I do have a Porter Cable cordless that wreaks of that smell and has for over a year, yet it lives on. It never did before so clearly something is going on.

Also, there was a milky white liquid that appeared to have oozed out of the seam between the two halves located at the top of tool. It was about 3 inches long (the oozage). I wiped the mystery gook off and it did not return even after cycling.

I'm thinking of passing on this particular tool.

Comment

Working...
                  X