X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is copper pipe as good as we think?

While looking for the age of copper pipe which was inadvertantly brought up in a different thread... (looks like 90 years ago by the by) I saw this paragraph on the last page.

http://restoremypipes.com/adf2/pdf/h...per_piping.pdf

<The general public has been lead to believe copper piping will “last forever” and that it has a history of reliable service considering the billions of feet of copper piping installed throughout the United States. The facts differ from that conclusion. The majority of copper piping has been installed in the past 35 years. According to the original engineered specification the copper was only meant to have a life expectancy of 20 years. The changes in water chemistry made by the EPA, within the past fifteen years have appeared to be decreasing the life expectancy. In many areas 10 to 15 years is the maximum service life copper piping is achieving. Over the past fifteen years we have begun to experience the effects of dramatic and massive failures of copper piping in many parts of the United States. The cost of these failures to United States alone may result in 5 to 10 trillion dollars in expenditure by insurance companies, corporations, governments and individual homeowners. This excludes the potential health risks and medical costs that appear to be linked with the increased exposure through the consumption of copper from water piping. Copper is known to be a toxin if absorbed at a rate higher than the human body can absorb and eliminate through the natural process of excretion. Research doctors across
    the county are starting to find links between copper and Cancer, Autism, Alzheimer’s disease and many other neurological diseases. The facts are clear, that copper water piping doesn’t last forever, the health and financial costs related to the failure of copper piping will effect generations of Americans to come.>

From this I presume the copper primarily becomes a problem when the water is acidic?

Perhaps I need to re-evalute my position on copper and start installing stainless steel instead. I can just see the expression on my customers' faces when I tell them the price....
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Re: Is copper pipe as good as we think?

from a service factor, i've had more repairs associated with copper than with old school domestic gal. pipe. especially with recirc lines.

stainless might replace copper for hard tubing. but i see pex replacing copper in the residential market.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
      Perhaps I need to re-evalute my position on copper and start installing stainless steel instead. I can just see the expression on my customers' faces when I tell them the price....
      Well, That would depend on the GRADE of stainless steel as well

just sayin

Comment

Oh also,

If you want some more information on copper you can visit:

Copper.org: Copper Development Association - Information on copper ...

The Copper Development Association Inc. (CDA) is the market development, engineering and information services arm of the copper industry, chartered to ...
        www.copper.org/ - Cached - Similar
        Properties
        Find Suppliers of Copper
        Properties of Wrought and Cast ...
        Publications
        Tube, Pipe & Fittings
        ASTM Standard Designation for ...
        Architecture
        Antimicrobial
        More results from copper.org »

Comment

While looking for the age of copper pipe which was inadvertantly brought up in a different thread... (looks like 90 years ago by the by) I saw this paragraph on the last page.

http://restoremypipes.com/adf2/pdf/h...per_piping.pdf

<The general public has been lead to believe copper piping will “last forever” and that it has a history of reliable service considering the billions of feet of copper piping installed throughout the United States. The facts differ from that conclusion. The majority of copper piping has been installed in the past 35 years. According to the original engineered specification the copper was only meant to have a life expectancy of 20 years. The changes in water chemistry made by the EPA, within the past fifteen years have appeared to be decreasing the life expectancy. In many areas 10 to 15 years is the maximum service life copper piping is achieving. Over the past fifteen years we have begun to experience the effects of dramatic and massive failures of copper piping in many parts of the United States. The cost of these failures to United States alone may result in 5 to 10 trillion dollars in expenditure by insurance companies, corporations, governments and individual homeowners. This excludes the potential health risks and medical costs that appear to be linked with the increased exposure through the consumption of copper from water piping. Copper is known to be a toxin if absorbed at a rate higher than the human body can absorb and eliminate through the natural process of excretion. Research doctors across
          the county are starting to find links between copper and Cancer, Autism, Alzheimer’s disease and many other neurological diseases. The facts are clear, that copper water piping doesn’t last forever, the health and financial costs related to the failure of copper piping will effect generations of Americans to come.>

From this I presume the copper primarily becomes a problem when the water is acidic?

Keep in mind your link is from Ace DuraFlo's website. They are the company which uses epoxy to line water lines so consider the source and motive.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Keep in mind your link is from Ace DuraFlo's website. They are the company which uses epoxy to line water lines so consider the source and motive.

Mark
            Ah good catch,

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
              Now THAT I didn't see. I just googled for the history of copper pipe and that link was one of several that came up.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                from a service factor, i've had more repairs associated with copper than with old school domestic gal. pipe. especially with recirc lines.

stainless might replace copper for hard tubing. but i see pex replacing copper in the residential market.

rick.
                Yeah, I was joking about the stainless. My bad.

Comment

My parents have been living in a copper piped house that was built in 1948 (they bought it in 1954). They have never had a leak or any piping failure and that includes their passive hot water recirculation system. I did replace their original water heater that had a "copper heart" after 60 years of use but not because it was leaking.

Comment

Yeah, I was joking about the stainless. My bad.
                    no joke, there are viega press fittings out there

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

That ProPress in the auction just went for $2085.52.

I can buy a new one for $2750 or so. Why even take the chance for that small a difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X