X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plug in water heater

Worked on a house the other day with a melted lower thermostat.

The Water heater was wired with a dryer cord. and had an appropriate receptacle. This house was built in 2005 and passed inspection. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: plug in water heater

We have one that we installed like that, but it is used just for washing the trucks. So it is only used sporadically.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      Worked on a house the other day with a melted lower thermostat.

The Water heater was wired with a dryer cord. and had an appropriate receptacle. This house was built in 2005 and passed inspection. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

I have ran into about 4 thay are rated for 220 volt so yo dont have to hard wire them. How about the flex water pipeing !!
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Originally posted by post plumber View Post
        How about the flex water pipeing !!
        thats a personal preference thing, some guys love 'em, I hate them.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I have customer's that are running 1500 watt 110volt on plugs ...

one old "hippie" has a cord going through a hole in the wall to a heater that sits out in the open under the eve

'ya want to make toast ...unplug the water heater ... LOL

Dave

Comment

I have ran into about 4 thay are rated for 220 volt so yo dont have to hard wire them. How about the flex water pipeing !!
            Don't you know that the guy that installed those flex lines, really wanted to hard pipe the hot & cold, but he said to himself, "what if an earthquake hits".

Funny though, I kind of like the flex electric cord, as long as it is proper size wire.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as the pigtail and receptacle are rated for the proper current draw.
              James

Comment

it should meet code. they used a romex connector. it's rated at 30a. whats the problem? it's a disconnect. i have never done one like that. i use a two pole 30a breaker. i don't care to have someone pulling on it and touching the prongs. speak chinese. breid...........

Comment

dryer 30 amp cord is rated for the 4500 watt load.

truthfully i would prefer a cord. it allows for a disconnect right at the heater. i also prefer cords for disposals and dishwashers.

makes for an easy change out and less chance that the prior service person screws it up. too many times they don't take the time to get the proper flex connectors or reducing washers or flex 90.

no different that an electric dryer pigtail or oven pigtail.

flexes are all i use on residential water heaters in the land of shakes

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                    Don't you know that the guy that installed those flex lines, really wanted to hard pipe the hot & cold, but he said to himself, "what if an earthquake hits".

Funny though, I kind of like the flex electric cord, as long as it is proper size wire.
                    As for the flex water conecters my fault I live in suberbs of chicago and I was not thinking of the land of the shakes .As for the cord thing I liked that
                    SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

As for the flex water conecters my fault I live in suberbs of chicago and I was not thinking of the land of the shakes .As for the cord thing I liked that

I don't like them because Earthquakes aren't something we plan for here. They Do happen, but nothing severe in the past hundred years.

Comment

I don't like them because Earthquakes aren't something we plan for here. They Do happen, but nothing severe in the past hundred years.
                        Just south of you in Arky land they are the norm.

The problem I have with pigtails or any electrical connection made by a plumber is the the wire nuts always fall off in your hand. That's if they use wire nuts and not duct tape.

Do you know about the New Madrid Fault?

James

Comment

Yeah, the new madrid is close by. and we apparently have little tremors periodically. small enough we can't feel them. and oddly enough, earthquake codes are non existent here.

Comment

Well earthquakes dont hapen here as well and the only flex water supply lines like that you will see me with will be the ones I took out and are in my scap bucket
                            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
                            X