Bad CPVC !!! again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad CPVC !!! again

I will post photos soon ... but I was on a job where CPVC failed ... Snapped right behind the glue joint !

15 Years old Inside a wall total of 6 bad joints .....

The last time I posted this It was pipe of Unknown origin so I wrote it off as Inferior material ... This time I have KNOWN material that IS traceable !

Hopefully the resin guys will contact me again and we can get a handle on this ...

So what does that leave us ? Copper is no good around here , CPVC is failing in 15 Years , UPONOR is Bad as the rings crack , So that leaves us crimped pex But even with that there IS the ZURN Class action suit ....
    I personally have had no Zurn fitting problems ...

Let the flames begin ...

Dave

Re: Bad CPVC !!! again

Even with new CPVC I've had pinhole leaks
    Mike

Comment

threaded brass pipe? :-) Stainless steel?

Garden hose?

It's a crappy problem to have. What kind of CPVC and glue was used?

Comment

is there not something the water treatment plants can do to make it safe for copper? I can't imagine its the outside environment, I plumbed in coastal North carolina for several years and Copper lasts for years there.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
          I will post photos soon ... but I was on a job where CPVC failed ... Snapped right behind the glue joint !

15 Years old Inside a wall total of 6 bad joints .....

The last time I posted this It was pipe of Unknown origin so I wrote it off as Inferior material ... This time I have KNOWN material that IS traceable !

Hopefully the resin guys will contact me again and we can get a handle on this ...

So what does that leave us ? Copper is no good around here , CPVC is failing in 15 Years , UPONOR is Bad as the rings crack , So that leaves us crimped pex But even with that there IS the ZURN Class action suit ....
          I personally have had no Zurn fitting problems ...

Let the flames begin ...

Dave
          Outhouse?

Which CPVC are you talking about? Could it be that brands problem only? Haven't heard of anything like this out of Lubrizol/Flowguard. Yet.

I've heard of all the copper problems in Florida but don't exactly get what's going on.

UPONOR RINGS CRACK?!?!? More information please.

I believe Viega makes a plastic "poy-alloy" fitting if you want or have to go all plastic with a crimp. They still make me nervous though. Remember though, no mixing of PEX brands pipe and fittings.

J.C.

Comment

Zurn makes the poly fittings as well. those are actually what I use for pex
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Re: Bad CPVC !!! again ANSWER KISS

Hand dug stone lined well . Wood shingle roof , with windless and bucket . Worked great'

Thank's Dad
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the Uponor rings cracking was solved years ago.

Comment

I run into failed piping on the older non Flowguard CPVC piping, but so far the Flowguard product works well except for some of the factory CPVC slip by brass mip adapters that can leak and blow out where they are pressed together at the factory. As far as Wirsbo pex plastic rings cracking I only had this problem if exposed long term to sunlight.

Comment

I am going to the Job site tomorrow and see if we can get the water tested ...

Bad News is that it IS Flow guard gold with Flow guard gold Glue

Other bad News is that I probably Have several Thousand Joints I have Installed ...

I am going to make a dated Joint every year I am working and hang it on a nail and watch it until I quit working ... should have done this years ago ...

But all that being Said I Believe we will get this figured out ... The Resin Guys were really Great last time around ...

Dave

Here is the Before Shot ... Thought I had it Made Until the CPVC Riser Broke !!! This at 5 Pm On a Friday !!! This is an Outside Wall with Asbestos Siding !!!

Here is the Pex after Shot (Before Strapping )(NO Flames! This is how we do it around Here

Last edited by NoeEttica; 03-21-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry but in my opinion ALL pvc, cpvc is crap. Installing male steel or brass fitting threads into female plastic fittings is a huge no no in my book. In over 22 years I have not installed a single piece of cpvc pipe and never will.

Comment

Am I looking at wood paneling in a shower ?
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hey it's Florida, anything goes! LOL

All kidding aside, the only pex fittings I use these days is the Viega pureflow with the stainless steel sleeves. I stopped using the Uponor, don't like it for many reasons. I really think the pureflow is the highest quality pex and fittings made today. The crimp ring garbage sold at the big box stores looks like crap, big difference between my jobs and that stuff.

Comment

I believe It's Luan as backing for the Glue up Panels ... I Did NOT Do the Original Install ... Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X