X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flux

I agree with Rick, water soluble for service work is awful. If there is any moisture on the pipe or fitting it won't stick.

Comment

I'm not sure they even have water soluable flux at the supply house. All I see anyone using is nokorode or a tinning flux. I'll have to check tomorrow and find out for sure.

Comment

what cities allow regular flux for potable water?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Under both the Uniform Plumbing Code and the International Plumbing Code you must use a flux which complies with ASTM B-813 (water soluble). The only water soluble flux NoKorode makes is their Aqua Flux. I'm not sure what other codes allow.

http://www.copper.org/about/pressrel...tryUpdate.html

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

there you go guys. for those of you that have not had the pleasure to work with water in the pipe while soldering with water soluble flux. you'll soon be looking for better way to deal with water and soldering.

jet swet is not always an option.

20 years working with good flux

15 plus years of working with garbage flux

5 years working with propress

propress is the better way

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I only use Nokorode flux even during the cold months, just blast it with your torch a bit no problem.
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                I only use Nokorode flux even during the cold months, just blast it with your torch a bit no problem.
                I have learned that, but, that is really not what I want to have to do everytime I want to solder.

NOT GONNA LIE, I did not know there was a certain flux you were supposed to use, thanks for the heads up. And no thank you a holes, will be cussing you later I am sure
                My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Under both the Uniform Plumbing Code and the International Plumbing Code you must use a flux which complies with ASTM B-813 (water soluble). The only water soluble flux NoKorode makes is their Aqua Flux. I'm not sure what other codes allow.

http://www.copper.org/about/pressrel...tryUpdate.html

Mark
                  I know chicago code requiers water soluble flux [ASTM B-813] as for the IL state code I'm not sure SewerRatz could answer that!!
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Flux ? Solder ? what a waste of time! Come on this is 2010 guys I have soldered for ten and a half years now I am sure to alot of you thats not long but come on you got pro press or shark bites teck tights watts version , then you got C.P.V.C. and your brass to plastic fittings to transition and you have pex with many brands and if you do use pro press guess what they have jaws for pex same tool both types of pipe so pick your poison . Yea may you should keep a small solder box on the tuck I do but it is only if I really need to use maybe only to un sweat a fitting . May be I am just too young in this trade I mean think about it maybe we should put back the torch and drag out the dies and pipe vise right never can trust them soldered joints only "hand threaded" Just kidding.

Comment

not a bad idea. i've got 1'' steel pipe down to 66 seconds to handcut, ream, oil, thread, and screw together.

problem is i'm only good for that speed once a year

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

66 seconds? That's pretty good!

Comment

what were you? 64 with 1 squirt of oil

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment