X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Ridgid Tristand Score Today!

Went over to a guy's house today; he was selling a Ridgid Tristand. I had asked if it was a chain vise with the screw-tightening handle, or a yoke vise with the traditional sliding-handle screw tightening device. (I was really looking for a replacement chain vise, but hey. The price was right.)

I show up, nice guy, has a couple things in the yard for sale, but back in the garage is this rack with what appears to be every engine the guy has every owned. I'm looking around for a tristand, but can't see it because it is totally black with dirt. I was about to tell him I wasn't really interested, when he pulls out the Father of All Tristands: The Epic First Generation Holy Grail Ridgid 2-1/2 Y.

How sweet is this thing? I think it was made in the mid-forties and pre-dates the numbering system Ridgid uses. Has a bunch of conduit-bending slots, and some other openings that I can't really figure out. Now, here's the best part. I think it has original paint. It has original legs. I think, and now I'm just dreaming, but it may have the original leg-chain that holds the tri-legs together. I hand the guy the money. Fifty bucks. I was thinking about mounting it on top of my truck. What do you guys think?

(Oh, and I just HAD to ask, "So, got anything else for sale?" Thinking, you know, he might have a pre-CBS Fender Strat, or an Edison cylinder recording, or an honest politician.)

Re: Vintage Ridgid Tristand Score Today!

---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

something like mine

read all about your find in this thread

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...tique+tristand

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick: Yes, exactly like yours, if you covered yours in soot, tar, Rectorseal, six decades of thread oil, tobacco juice and anything else that is either black or brown. I had read that the small arm off to the back right side was used to "anchor" the tristand for more torque, with a second pipe against a wall, or truck, or large apprentice. Any truth to that? And what are all the other non-conduit-bending holes for? Did yours come with the stand, or just the vise and vise support? And do you know if that is the original color? I was thinking of trying a restoration of this baby.

(And sorry for the lack of pictures; I was so excited I forgot to take any. When it stops raining I'll set it up for some beauty shots.)

The other thing I scored this year was my grandfather's hand-built workbench. It was at a house sale where he had his first shop, which I think he left in 1938 or thereabouts. He started in the trade in 1921; it sure makes me feel good to work on it again.

Comment

I scored one like that too about 4 years ago but it was a NYE which I haven't seen before. Any info or just a knockoff?

Comment

I don't think you should classify it as a "knockoff." The Nye Tool and Machine Works was in Chicago and manufactured a bunch of pipe trades tools; the ones I've seen are pretty darned well-made.

Comment

the "small arm" is a jack screw. A piece of one inch pipe will fit nicely on top of it and will need to be cut to a length to fit between the jack screw and a rafter, bar joist, door frame, beam, etc., turning the screw to raise it will put downward pressure on the tristand thus holding it in place for for the heavy turning jobs.

Comment

mine was only the head unit. no legs but other than the paint job they threw on it. it's very clean.

the extra holes were for the wrenches, threader, reamer, pipe dope can. chain and lock

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

What's so special about it? I have seven tri-stands from various years, they all do the same thing, they hold pipe.
                  sigpic

Comment

that is kind of like saying why own a vintage car, all cars do the same thing, get you from point a to point b.

It is always more exciting in the pinto

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                      that is kind of like saying why own a vintage car, all cars do the same thing, get you from point a to point b.

Pinto...... How about a 69 Chevelle SS or a 57 Ford F100

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post

But it's a pipe vise. Just because it's old don't make it special. It doesn't hold pipe any better than a new one does.
                        sigpic

Comment

Jeez. Sorry I brought the whole thing up. I kinda thought this was a friendly place. (...walking away, shaking my head...)

Comment

It is a friendly place we just like to rag on each other cause our wives all beat us up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X