X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water heater venting "issue"

In Jan. I had a call for water heater replacement. They were going out of town for a few days so we scheduled for 5:30 pm on the day they returned.

After changing out the heater, I lit it and notice right away it was not venting. After pulling apart the accessible portion of the vent in the basement and finding no problems it was close to 8:00 so I scheduled to come back first thing in the am to check the vent cap and see what things looked like from the topside.

We had just had a small ice storm so things were rather slick (truck used to support ladder).

Anyway house was re-roofed 18 months prior, you can see the pics of th vent cap, it had screws to secure it (dw screws that is) so it was in a fixed position, and you can see the light rust ring on the top of the cap.....not sure how this thing ever vented. My guess it it was venting a little but with heater off for several days and the ice storm, maybe the little gap that was there iced up. if so it worked out for their good, other wise it might not of been found.

The broken rivet on the cap is from me, I broke it to lift one side, then lit the heater to verify that was our issue, then re-placed the vent cap.

It was cold out that day, but I was sweating until I got back down on the ground.

Was a first for me, I have not run into any venting issues before.
    Attached Files

Re: water heater venting "issue"

looks like the roofers stepped on it. I usually run into people blocking off the combustion air vents to stop drafts. Then can't figure out why the water heater won't stay lit.

Comment

Originally posted by RDW920 View Post
      In Jan. I had a call for water heater replacement. They were going out of town for a few days so we scheduled for 5:30 pm on the day they returned.

After changing out the heater, I lit it and notice right away it was not venting. After pulling apart the accessible portion of the vent in the basement and finding no problems it was close to 8:00 so I scheduled to come back first thing in the am to check the vent cap and see what things looked like from the topside.

We had just had a small ice storm so things were rather slick (truck used to support ladder).

Anyway house was re-roofed 18 months prior, you can see the pics of th vent cap, it had screws to secure it (dw screws that is) so it was in a fixed position, and you can see the light rust ring on the top of the cap.....not sure how this thing ever vented. My guess it it was venting a little but with heater off for several days and the ice storm, maybe the little gap that was there iced up. if so it worked out for their good, other wise it might not of been found.

The broken rivet on the cap is from me, I broke it to lift one side, then lit the heater to verify that was our issue, then re-placed the vent cap.

It was cold out that day, but I was sweating until I got back down on the ground.

Was a first for me, I have not run into any venting issues before.
      thats a great finde congrats. and better you on that roof then me in those conditions
      SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I bet that was a great feeling when you found and fixed that problem thats the best thing about service
        SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Working...
        X