would you violate the code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: would you violate the code?

As a general Contractor I write a lot of My own code. Of course It's in code.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

One of the reasons I started this thread is because there are very few plumbers that really know for sure what their liability is and what the responsibility of the code officer is. Most states do not require their code inspectors to hold a license in the field they are inspecting, in fact, it is unconstitutional to require them to do so.

For those of you that are in business, your license and livelihood may well someday depend on you knowing exactly what your liability is. In most states the code inspector does not have authority to bend or interpret code unless there is a written amendment that has been approved by the city council or board of selectmen and furthermore that amendment can not be less strict than the adopted state code. If the inspector is incompetent (and many are) it is your responsibility to inform your state inspectors of the issue and they will come down and make the ruling.
      sigpic

Comment

In Wisconsin, most inspectors are licensed plumbers. At least in most of the larger cities, although in some of the smaller communities they are just general inspectors that don't know squat about plumbing.

Comment

When I was going through my apprenticeship we too had inspectors. They got rid of them for self regulation and there in lies the problem. Most Plumbers here are just out for the quid and couldnt care for anything else. So then we have the Ambulance chasing legal fraternity backed by the similar filth in the disguise of Insurance Companies chasing on our heels. If one was to wind back time a little we did more plumbing and less litigating with positive results for the consumers. So then we have the Australian Standard which we are told is the bible unless we want to own the responsibility till the life end of the installation. Then we have the Judge who relies on teh expert, not necessarily a Licensed Master Plumber mind you but rather someone who sends theri kids to the same primary school. The system here has gone backwards at top gear. We are governed by the ones who couldnt cut it as contractors and interpret as they see fit. A note of sense :- when did they consult the industry. They didnt. THey instead opted for what was supposed to be the Industry mouthpiece or Association. Another big mistake. To finish, the mistake will continue because the intelects will never concede they stuffed up and revert back to a better system which was the result of our forefathers thinking with the right head.

Comment

Working...
          X