would you violate the code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you violate the code?

If you were to run across a situation or a passage in the plumbing code that you strongly disagree with, would you either ignore it, violate it or go along with it because it is the law?

Part 2, would you advise someone to ignore or violate the code for the same reason.
    sigpic

Re: would you violate the code?

only if i challenged the inspector and it was agreed and passed then yes, if not no, there are always things i run across and don't like or agree with but the code as written as in laws i will follow. good post nh.

Comment

We've all fudged at some point. Anyone saying different is .

Comment

I, regularly, use clear primer in finished houses. My code requires purple. I would recommend others do the same. In most other cases I would follow code.
        Mike

Comment

Isn't this some what like asking if you have ever speeded, or broke a traffic law?
          Or encouraged some one else to.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            If you were to run across a situation or a passage in the plumbing code that you strongly disagree with, would you either ignore it, violate it or go along with it because it is the law?

Part 2, would you advise someone to ignore or violate the code for the same reason.
            this is a good question . It is tough but we as lisenced plumbers must remember as hard as it was to get are license we can have it revoked by and or get fined for not folowing the coed even if we dont agree with something
            SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

Would you NH?
              My avatar, is every mans wet dream, don't lie. We all know you ride the bedroom moped

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                I, regularly, use clear primer in finished houses. My code requires purple. I would recommend others do the same. In most other cases I would follow code.
                Mike
                they now make a clear primer that whith a UV light turns purple and works good
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

Comment

I would always follow code however if I did not agree I would take it up with the inspector then plumbing board or who ever writes the code then tell every customer and ask them to write the board and head inspector to push the issue as far as I could go. In the end all that make the decisions should have been plumbers some were down the line and if everyone takes it to heart that a plumber and or a plumbing inspector s job and goal is to protect the health and safety of the nation then we should be good to go !

Comment

I can come up with numerous code requirements that from knowing the service end of the equation, I will instantly go against code and set the fixture up for a service standpoint.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Island vents in our city are allowed to be looped, since we aren't permitted to use AAV's, but we aren't allowed to run a foot vent off of the loop to catch fresh air, since it is a horizontal dry vent. even with a cleanout on the fresh air riser. I add them after the inspection.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

You pull up to a red light, late at night. No traffic around for miles. The only thing moving is your head, side to side, scanning for any sign of life. But. The light stays red. For minutes. Nothing. What do you do? Carefully, cautiously, you run that red light. (At least *I* do.)

Same with the code. Talk with the inspector. Talk with the health or plumbing department. State your case. An approach I often use is that my work is greatly improving the overall intent of plumbing, which is to protect the health and safety of the customer. While it may not go ALL the way toward meeting every aspect of the code, I try to explain that my intentions are to do the best I can within the restrictions of the job: space, time, money, and structural integrity.

They don't always get it, but I do try. I don't skip the code because that makes me more money or saves some time or I just can't be bothered to read or understand it. I apply it to the real world with logic, reason and experience.

Comment

[QUOTE=Same with the code. Talk with the inspector. Talk with the health or plumbing department. State your case. An approach I often use is that my work is greatly improving the overall intent of plumbing, which is to protect the health and safety of the customer. While it may not go ALL the way toward meeting every aspect of the code, I try to explain that my intentions are to do the best I can within the restrictions of the job: space, time, money, and structural integrity.

They don't always get it, but I do try. I don't skip the code because that makes me more money or saves some time or I just can't be bothered to read or understand it. I apply it to the real world with logic, reason and experience.[/QUOTE]

Good luck trying to tell that to an inspector, especially one you don't know very well.
                          I'm doing a violation mechanical job, right now at multi family house. Fixing several violations, which are legitimate, but tha main one is that the code says, there must be heat in every room, capable of getting room temp to 68deg at 4ft high. This house has 1 thermostat, with hot water boiler heat, & cast iron radiators. 25yrs ago, owner removed about 5 radiators, because the rooms were too hot anyway, & radiators took up space. Now city wants radiators put back in, at a cost of about $3500 just for the radiators. Inspector would not even listen to anything I had to say about not needing them, just keeps referring to MMC code book.
                          Don't get me wrong, I love the work, but I like to look out for my customers best interest too. He told me just to make sure I leave valves off on new radiators, because they will never be needed.
                          I'm looking for some used radiators, but not much avail. Also since these are hot water, I'm skeptical about installing a used one, & having it possibly leak.

Comment

I'm not a Plumber so I can't speak for your code. As a Well Driller (used to be) I was under the Plumbing Code and their inspectors in my County. We have a Head Plumbing Inspector that is somewhat of an idiot in my humble opinion. Since we were dumped into the Plumbing department this guy took it upon himself to require a check valve be installed on every newly installed well between the wellhead and the tank. This is clearly a contamination problem waiting to happen and serves no other purpose. I called him on it and got one of those do as I say responses.

So to answer the question in my end of the business, yes; every time I thought I could get away with it.

Good post HN!
                            Last edited by speedbump; 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM.
                            Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Seems to me if you follow code and something bad happens the liability goes to the code writers and enforcers. So I try to follow codes.

Comment

Working...
                              X