X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiance with Star C.I. pipe ?

Had an inspection on ground work that we did today,about 300' of 6" and 4" B+S C.I. pipe(bathrooms,hand sinks,floor drains,downspouts) .Used Charlotte pipe,when the inspector was done he asked me what I knew about Star brand pipe,I told him that I've used it once or twice(cost cutting by the shop),he then told me that the village passed an ordinance prohibiting the use of Star brand pipe.It's based on a "rumor" that it's known to develop leaks along it's laying length,has anybody heard of this problem?
    Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Re: Experiance with Star C.I. pipe ?

Originally posted by leakfree View Post
    Had an inspection on ground work that we did today,about 300' of 6" and 4" B+S C.I. pipe(bathrooms,hand sinks,floor drains,downspouts) .Used Charlotte pipe,when the inspector was done he asked me what I knew about Star brand pipe,I told him that I've used it once or twice(cost cutting by the shop),he then told me that the village passed an ordinance prohibiting the use of Star brand pipe.It's based on a "rumor" that it's known to develop leaks along it's laying length,has anybody heard of this problem?
    What does this mean? Along the bottom?

No, I have only had experience with Charlotte. (In N.C.) I do recall reading about some bad Chinese Cast Iron somewhere though.

J.C.

Comment

I've used star ci two or three times. One of our new suppliers carries this junk..It's from china feels cheap has poor coating and we had issues getting clean snapps. I went back to AB&I made right in my area and never looked back..

Comment

[/QUOTE]
        Strange thing we do here, believe it or not, we install our drains & vents on the "inside" of the house.
        I've heard from other plumbers, & wholesalers here too, that the China cast iron does not meet standards here, & is illegal to use. Tyler or Charlotte, is what my supply house carries.

Comment

Strange thing we do here, believe it or not, we install our drains & vents on the "inside" of the house.[/QUOTE]

With who's money,yours?

Comment

Re. laying length,the inspector was refering to it leaking from the barrel of the pipe(bad castings) not leaks at the hubs.The job he was inspecting for me has strange requirements by the architect anyway.It's a 5 story physical rehab building that will remain occupied during a remodel and an addition,requires B+S C.I. pipe(poured joints,no hub not allowed),type L W+V pipe(must be swt.joints no pro press allowed)and it has 8 reverse osmosis kidney dialisys machines going into copper or C.I. wastes(normally we pipe these to an acid resistant pipe).
            Last edited by leakfree; 03-27-2010, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Must have something that eats rubbber?

Comment

Ok, I'm not Plumber but I have got to know!
                Attached Files
                Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

its called a jim cap to isolate the stack for test we had a band rolled back on the existing and the piece of pipe waiting to reconnect after inspection.

Comment

Leakfree:
                    How do the B&S cast iron leaded joints hold up for testing? I've tested No- hub many times, & is easy to fix if there is a leak, but never had to test the leaded joints. Think I might put some extra tar or sealer around those lead joints, just to be sure.
                    Sounds like a nice $$$$ job there.
                    Last edited by Don the plumber; 03-27-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Strange thing we do here, believe it or not, we install our drains & vents on the "inside" of the house.
                      With who's money,yours?
                      [/QUOTE]

I was kidding, hope no offense was taken there.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
                        Leakfree:
                        How do the B&S cast iron leaded joints hold up for testing? I've tested No- hub many times, & is easy to fix if there is a leak, but never had to test the leaded joints. Think I might put some extra tar or sealer around those lead joints, just to be sure.
                        Sounds like a nice $$$$ job there.
                        We really don't have problems doing a stack test on lead joints,we do use the white oakum not the brown,I've had more issues with leaks on no-hub than poured joints any day.I don't think anything added to the joint would have much of an effect on stopping leaks.Years ago the sold a product called "crack stick"for fixing leaks ,was like a stick of tar,it seems most of the leaks are self sealing if you give the oakum a chance to swell up.

Comment

its called a jim cap to isolate the stack for test we had a band rolled back on the existing and the piece of pipe waiting to reconnect after inspection.
                          Thanks, now it makes sense. It sure didn't at first.
                          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            With who's money,yours?
                            [/QUOTE]

When I 1st landed in S.F. FROM BACK East,I couldn't believe the outside stacks.

2nd one was," Some of the most beautiful woman in this city, are MEN ! "
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                            X