Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Does your sump pump water your garden? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does your sump pump water your garden?

    Well did a lot of small jobs for this Gal. New 95% furnace I pulled permit for My heat Guy.
    Elec. some carpentry. Power washing,gutter cleaning and repair. Full basement with sump pump. I was curious and opened the pit cover. There on the 1 1/2"PVC riser is a leak when pump is on. Small gash . Cut on gash and glue New coupling. Sump working Year round is
    not a good selling feature. House will list soon. Then I think of this. Run a large holding tank under deck, Plumb a small demand pump for dedicated hose bibs and drip systems. Excess
    goes to original terminations. This water could also be used for toilets. We have a drought
    this would be very green. and put a spin on the negative. Your thoughts?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

  • #2
    Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

    Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Well did a lot of small jobs for this Gal. New 95% furnace I pulled permit for My heat Guy.
    Elec. some carpentry. Power washing,gutter cleaning and repair. Full basement with sump pump. I was curious and opened the pit cover. There on the 1 1/2"PVC riser is a leak when pump is on. Small gash . Cut on gash and glue New coupling. Sump working Year round is
    not a good selling feature. House will list soon. Then I think of this. Run a large holding tank under deck, Plumb a small demand pump for dedicated hose bibs and drip systems. Excess
    goes to original terminations. This water could also be used for toilets. We have a drought
    this would be very green. and put a spin on the negative. Your thoughts?
    Are you sure it was a gash and not a relief?

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

      Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Are you sure it was a gash and not a relief?

      Mark
      THANK'S MARK! My mistake,I just did a search and read one of Your old posts. I will return and drill a 3/16" hole below coupling. We don't see many sump pumps in our area. What are Your thoughts on Possible water usage?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

        It's a great idea. I don't know if it's legal, but it should be.

        Re-use is becoming a hot topic and things like this need to be addressed as conservation is key. We also need to limit new "big pipe" housing projects and start using cluster systems where the effluent goes back into the ground near the point where it is taken from.

        Our aquafers are going dry at an alarming rate. We need to solve this problem ASAP!
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

          www.bracsystems.com

          Tool, is this what your looking for?
          The Other Rick

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

            Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
            www.bracsystems.com

            Tool, is this what your looking for?
            Thank,s RICK, Great site ! This seems to have more potential than grey water for toilets Ect. I saw this clear cool water coming into the sump pit,and thought what a beautiful spring ! Our const. Yard is below a huge hill with a concrete retaining wall. I put in a sump pit 5 Years ago. Works fine with no drain hole. but will drill on Mon.thank,s Mark
            Last edited by toolaholic; 03-28-2010, 12:19 PM.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

              I'm curious about all the disinfection of the rainwater. Are they using it for household uses other than flushing? I can see that maybe you wouldn't want to water your vegatable garden with stagnant water, but the yard and flowers wouldn't care.

              It would also seem that whith rainwater harvesting you'd need a huge tank for storage to make it efficient as possible.

              I'm not critiquing. Just discusing. I'd like to harvest rainwater for irigation purposes however I'm on a well so water is cheap. I'm not sure the cost involved would be worth the benefit.
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

                running sump pump to large drum to hold water to water garden is great idea and help on saveing water & $$$
                SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

                  as for the small gash on pipe usualy a plumber drills a 3/16 hole in pipe for weep hole to holp drain pipe when pump turns off to keep pump from hydrolocking agenst chack valve!
                  SMELLS LIKE $$$$$$ TO ME

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

                    Originally posted by post plumber View Post
                    as for the small gash on pipe usualy a plumber drills a 3/16 hole in pipe for weep hole to holp drain pipe when pump turns off to keep pump from hydrolocking agenst chack valve!
                    Yes, Mark educated Me on this. I will do a Mia Copa to friend [ didn't charge for this]
                    I believe small gash was an attempt to direct the squirt downward. Didn't work, Water was spraying towards cover. My New 3/16" hole will squirt down .
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Does your sump pump water your garden?

                      Great idea for the garden. it may be considered non metered water going to the toilet then the city sewer. anyway you may turn a bad thing into a selling point.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X