Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Permits Req. In Malibu

Everybody pays, one way or the other!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Convince the gc to pull permits or walk.

Comment

Last fall, I got a call from an insurance guy. Place I had worked on caught fire; famous bar with lots of rock memorbilia, most of which had gone up in smoke. I HAD worked on the place, in 1992. (I know it was 1992, because I keep records.) The fire started near a fireplace with gas logs. (Nothing in my contract about gas piping.)

So the guys sends me a copy of the permit. Huh, right there. My company name. But that AIN'T my signature, and the rest is blank, where it asks for license number, permit fee, liability carrier, all that. Blank.

I assured him that I had nothing to do with that part of the job. "So why is your signature on the permit?" Uh, buddy. Take a look. It isn't even my NAME, let alone my signature. Couple hundred thousand dollars damage, SEVENTEEN years after the last time I worked there, and the ONLY guy they could think to go after is the last guy that took out a permit, and legally worked there. ME.

I'm so glad I have those hundred file boxes in my barn. (There is no statute of limitations of construction defects. It last FOREVER, because they can always pin the damage as having started the same day you installed it.) And you'll often, in tough economic times, hear the phrase "fire of unknown origin." Easier money than actually WORKING for it.

Comment

Update:

So,my buddies are telling me I'm being an idiot.
          These are tradesman both licensed and unlicensed.These are good quality people currently working in this economy to make a living providing professional skilled labor.

Only a few of my churchies,some family members,people outside the trades,service plumbers,agreed I should walk.
          Every single construction worker says I'm nuts for walking on this when guys are loosing their companies,houses and wives.

Last guy I talked to today tells me the Coastal Commission has been screwing people for years.
          Example:
          Guy buys property for 1,000,000.C/C won't let him build for 2 years,now the guy has another 1,000,000 in payments on unimproved property with nothing to show.

Huge moneys out here.
          In Malibu shoot first ask questions later.
          Build first,if a guy gets red tagged take a check(doesn't matter how much)to the city.They've never had a structure torn down.What are they going to do?"No,you cannot finish your job"

I'm being told by many.
          A.Get money for material +30% out front.
          B.Get paid weekly for labor under a latino alias.
          C.Cash Check at local Latino Market where you need no ID.
          D.They miss a check let them get someone else to put the material in.

This is happening all over Southern California.Billions in lost revenue.Honest guys are being choked and everyone seems to think it is some kind of survival of the fittest campaign.

And guess who's making a killing.Property owners/developers getting work done for peanuts.Their property still sells for skyhigh profits.

All the signs point to more projects coming down line.
          An opportunity to increase compliance.
          More cities/government need to get off their AZZ and help themselves get this straightened out.No permit,no work.
          Enforce it!!!

Comment

good call adam. you need no part of that job.

wait until the city shuts it down and then you can say, see told you so.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I'm not in California, but just my 2 cents.

Sounds like way too many people know about this job already. So if you were thinking of still doing this job, you think none of the city inspectors know about it? If you do get the job, just like Dunbar said, & I have done this before too, the contractors that bid on, or didn't want the job, are likely to call bldg. officials too.
              Who wants to do a job, having to look over your shoulder all the time, wondering if this will be the day you get caught. Isn't this why we all wanted are licenses & insurances in the 1st place. Most all the customers I come across, that are willing to pay a descent wage, actually want you to make money, want the job done right, so there are no issues in the present or future, & have the $$$$ to pay,(especially on this size of a job), insist on pulling permits.
              Good luck with your decision Adam, cuz I can tell by all your posts your a top quality plumbing contractor. It's too bad, with this economy, that guys like you even gotta think about doing a sizable job, for a customer that don't want permits pulled. again
              Last edited by Don the plumber; 04-10-2010, 07:12 AM.

Comment

See, this just PI$$ES me OFF! It is ok for them to make a living...but not everyone else?

Comment

California has recently busted some 160 or so unlicensed contractors. Your job could either be a sting operation, or at the very least might well pop up in the CSLB sights. Do this at your peril.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                    California has recently busted some 160 or so unlicensed contractors. Your job could either be a sting operation, or at the very least might well pop up in the CSLB sights. Do this at your peril.
                    That would be an answer to my prayers(no CHEAP CLICHE)if they would run that in Los Angeles County City of Malibu.

Mrs.Westcoast actually put a copy of the video showing the sting on the recent website she made for me.

That sting was so far south from me and my illegals it feels like it was on another planet.

It is good for the people down there.

Comment

Here each sub-contractor pulls his/her permit individually. Take the job, pull the permit, and watch the fun when you call for your inspection.

J.C.

Comment

Adam,what ever happened on this project?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                        X