X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Explodes!

Check out this photo. It was sent to me by a friend of mine (a plumber too). His sister sent it to him. She works in the office in Alabama, (Florence, I think. The city, not his sister) where this occurred. The ladies room, people in the room but not in the stall (thankfully).

Don't these tanks have a relief valve in case of a pressure build up? It looks like a flushmate to me (the sticker).

How could this happen.
    Attached Files
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Toilet Explodes!

problem was they tried to jam at least 4 rolls of toilet paper down it

more of a burp than an explosion

there is a pressure regulator in the fill valve portion. i think it's set for around 15#.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

A few years ago i had a flush mate blow up like that during the night
      the plastic tank blew in half and busted the tank
      a few weeks before i had to go there and unscrew the aspirator on it to get it to flush again, our water pressure is only 45 psi
      The Docs wife thought it was funny...so did I

Comment

I saw one of those Flushmate toilets explode like that about 8 years ago. Glad nobody was in the bathroom when it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
          Check out this photo. It was sent to me by a friend of mine (a plumber too). His sister sent it to him. She works in the office in Alabama, (Florence, I think. The city, not his sister) where this occurred. The ladies room, people in the room but not in the stall (thankfully).

Don't these tanks have a relief valve in case of a pressure build up? It looks like a flushmate to me (the sticker).

How could this happen.
          I have had an Am. Stan. Powerflush in my bathroom, and one in my tenant's bathroom for the last ten years. They have never missed a flush in that time and work extremely well. However, armed with this info I'll certainly be changing these out in the next few weeks when I get some time.

I wonder if Am. Stan. is liable for the damage caused by exploding toilet tanks?

Thanks for this!
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            I have had an Am. Stan. Powerflush in my bathroom, and one in my tenant's bathroom for the last ten years. They have never missed a flush in that time and work extremely well. However, armed with this info I'll certainly be changing these out in the next few weeks when I get some time.

I wonder if Am. Stan. is liable for the damage caused by exploding toilet tanks?

Thanks for this!
            "My client has obviously suffered such emotional distress along with physical injury that they can no longer use ANY toilet without fear. That's why I ask you to make sure this never happens again and reward the damages asked of 1.2 Million Dollars......"

America and lawsuits man.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              "My client has obviously suffered such emotional distress along with physical injury that they can no longer use ANY toilet without fear. That's why I ask you to make sure this never happens again and reward the damages asked of 1.2 Million Dollars......"

America and lawsuits man.

J.C.
              If anyone had been sitting on that toilet it "sho nuff" would have been a lawsuit if one of those shards (that one between the bowl and wall looks like a giant shark's tooth) had hit home. Imagine if this had been in a lawyers office! (it may have been).
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

we had one happen here in a fire station a few years ago

the explanation was:
                The city had been doing something with the water main, and somehow managed to get a LOT of air into the pipes.

The explosion caused tendon damage to the unsuspecting firefighter that had just flushed.

The guys decided to tie a string to the flush handle of the other toiler, and it did the same thing.

I saw pictures, and the guy who had flushed the first one; So I know they really DID explode.... But i'm not clear on exactly how it happened.

Comment

Interesting, I've had flushmates for many yrs and never a problem
                  gee whize can't even go to the can in peace!. I've had to replace
                  the older steel tanks when they developed pocket air holes.
                  Using the factory retrofit black plastic tanks. The picture shows
                  this is a current model production unit water closet. I could imagine
                  all the water damage in an vacant residence or commerical bldg.

Always learning something new!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Eric View Post
                    Interesting, I've had flushmates for many yrs and never a problem
                    gee whize can't even go to the can in peace!. I've had to replace
                    the older steel tanks when they developed pocket air holes.
                    Using the factory retrofit black plastic tanks. The picture shows
                    this is a current model production unit water closet. I could imagine
                    all the water damage in an vacant residence or commerical bldg.

Always learning something new!
                    Now there's an idea. The compressed air tank can be plastic but make the toilet tank STEEL and be sure to bolt the lid on.

Comment

My outhouse in the mountains never blew up !
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        My outhouse in the mountains never blew up !
                        I dare you to light a match while in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X